Water Lily

I thoroughly enjoyed Sarah Marino’s webinar last week. From it I came away with some ideas to try with respect to some patterns that I’ve tried where I’ve not especially liked the results. With those ideas in mind, I went back to the Patuxent National Wildlife Research Reserve to revisit their collection of floating leaves and water lilies. This 8 shot stack is one result. (5D3, 100-400 @ 400, 1/320s, f/14, iso 800, tripod)

1 Like

Mark, I enjoyed the Sarah’s webinar too, although I had to watch the recording of it, as we were at a doctor’s appointment when it was actually on. Very good. I like what you did here. The patterns of the lilies frames the bloom nicely, supporting it. The 8 stack worked nicely to have everything in focus. A very pleasing image. I’m so looking forward to the macro workshop.

1 Like

Beautiful pattern and perfect lily positioning. I find the lily a little too bright. Love the greens and leaf texture

Mark: Solid comp and a fine capture. I like this kind of light and think you handled the shadows well. Beautiful flower superbly rendered. >=))>

Beautiful image with stacking done well. Love the lily pads surrounding the bloom. Very nice composition as well.

Mark
Very nice shot. The flower is lovely. Thank you for reminding me to view that webinar!

I have not seen the webinar, but it is a pleasure to view this waterlily shot. You’ve handled the harsh lighting well.

Very nice! The flower stands out in 3D, and the lily pads are gorgeous, both in shape and color. Looks like the stack worked perfectly. The hint of reflection highlights on the edges of the leaves is a nice touch. If you used a polarizer to tame larger ones, you did a wonderful job of it. The flower does feel a bit “hot” – I wonder about bringing down the Highlights slider in raw conversion. It can do some amazing things. To nitpick on a gorgeous image – I wonder about removing the edge of a leaf along the top edge.