Waterfall Through the Trees

More experimentation, this time with ICM. The shoot-through options weren’t so good when we finally got out last weekend, so I figured why not try ICM. After almost 350 frames in just a couple hours, this is one of the better attempts.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome - have at it.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 100mm, f/22, 1/13s, ISO 100, hand held.

3 Likes

I like it very much Bonnie. The only part I don’t get is which is the water and which is the trees. Lol. I guess it doesn’t matter. Yes, the repetition of arcs is very beautiful, especially in the upper section.

This is a true abstract (in the sense It is hard to understand what it is),
I love the composition, the colors and forms (especially those lovelly arcs)
I woud try to clone out those “distractions” both on the ULC and LRC.

1 Like

Bonnie, this is pretty wonderful. You haven’t seen me comment on your other ICM abstracts because I don’t know what to say. My brain doesn’t handle abstracts well. It needs something to latch onto other than technique. I’m too literal a thinker sometimes, but this catches my brain in a different way. I know what I’m seeing and that it isn’t reality, but it still works. The greens are lovely and varied and the shapes pleasing and rhythmic. I might tone down the sunlit branches in the middle of the bottom, but other than that all I can do is applaud.

350 shots!? Wow, these are not accidental or easy as many people think abstract images of any kind are and I think you’ve put that point across well.

Love this, Bonnie! I also love experimenting with ICM . . . for me my goal is to control the motion . . so I have to ask. . . how did you get the arching movement?? Great technique. The colors and rhythm work very well together. Very nicely done.

Wow, this is one of the coolest looking ICM’s that I have see an NPN, very creative. The patterns have a texture that has a very “quilted” look, with deep indentations. Very neat looking.

From the white patches (water I assume), it looks like you used a shallow upside down U-shape motion with your camera. But what I would like to ask is about what created the “quilting” indentations. Are there like terraces or steps in the waterfall? Or maybe this isn’t even a waterfall at all :grin:

Thank you, @Igor_Doncov, @João_Ferrão, @Kris_Smith, @linda_mellor, and @Ed_McGuirk for your thoughts.

Ed - this is not a waterfall at all, it’s a tree and sky. The way the sky looked to be flowing over the tree branches looked like a waterfall to me.

Kris - to be clear, I didn’t make 350 shots of just this scene; that was the morning’s effort as we hiked about.

Linda - to get the arcs, I was moving the camera in a circle. I’ve found it works best to start the motion you want before clicking the shutter. I’m not sure how well I control the motion. It really is a matter of experimentation, on a case-by-case basis. My approach is to just see what happens when I do something. If I like it, then I try to refine it.

Thanks, Bonnie. I also start the movement before clicking, but typically up to this point have been restricting myself to vertical and horizontal movements. Can’t wait to try this. Thanks again.

@linda_mellor - oh, definitely go for any kind/direction of movement you can think of. Combining them works well, too - straight, then circular, for example. Here’s an example of combining a straight movement at an angle, then finishing with a twirl. Not sure this one works so well composition-wise, but you can see what interesting things you can do. This was looking at a dense conifer tree, with just little bits of sun poking through.

3 Likes

Oh my!!! Super creative. Congrats!

1 Like

Both are very creative Bonnie. I also like your second post.

1 Like

This is wonderful, Bonnie. It’s quite lyrical, IMHO, the composition works with the circular sun reflections. Thanks again for sharing this great, and fun, technique.

1 Like

Very cool fun, leading to a couple of wonderful images!!! (I’m betting more than these two are keepers.)

1 Like