Went dragon hunting

Nikon d7100
1/5000, f8.0, iso 800, -.67 EV
500mm + 1.4 TC = 700mm
manual exposure

Thought this view was interesting given the hair like covering on its back between the wings.

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.

Lovely image and I agree, that “hairy back” is neat!

Greg: Really good comp and DOF control especially. I also like the perch a lot. I’d say your hunt was pretty successful. :+1::+1:>=))>

thank you both for the kind comments. they seem to land on the same position almost all the time which helps a lot.

Greg, this is a fine catch on what I believe is a Widow Skimmer. They like to perch on flat surfaces. The details in it’s perch and the angle of the perch and the green oof bit work create a good sense of movement.

Thanks Mark. I had this ID’d as a Common Whitetail Skimmer. I’m not a bug guy so help me out here where I was mistaken. I could use a good source for dragon ID’s ?

Hi Greg,

Yes this is a white-tailed skimmer. You did a good job in getting this guy nice and sharp. Visit https://www.odonatacentral.org/ for everything you need to know about dragonflies, but were afraid to ask :grinning: . …Jim

Greg, you are correct it is indeed a White-tailed skimmer, my mistake, with the difference between the two being added white bars on the wings of the Widow. Dragonflies through Binoculars by Sidney Dunkle is a good book that’s widely available. If you want a reference for both Dragonflies and Damselflies, Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East (or West) by Dennis Paulson are very thorough.