Western Larch Trees in Oregon

There are Larch trees in Oregon!

Just earlier this week, a friend on a message board asked about Western Larch trees. Are there any closer to Portland than making a trip to the Enchantments up in Washington (which would require a permit)? A bit of Google searching and sleuthing told me there might be some over on the eastern side of Mt Hood and way off in the Wallowas in Eastern Oregon.

I already had a scouting/ photography adventure planned with a few friends so I made it my personal mission to find some.

Success! They have a phenomenal golden glow in the fall, before losing their needles.

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn:

24mm, f/4, 1/250, ISO 100
Sony A7riii
GM 24-70mm f/2.8
Formatt-Hitech firecrest ultra circular polarizer

If this is a composite please be honest with your techniques and share some details so others can learn:

Single image

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
1 Like

Great color contrast in this one love the yellows! Good work.

1 Like

Wonderful. Can’t go wrong with blue and gold… and the whispy clouds add a lot to the scene. Great find.

1 Like

Great find, I’m glad you were able to sleuth this one out. The arrangement of trees is pleasing, but what makes this image work for me is the cloud. If this image had a cloudless blue sky, it would not have anywhere near as much impact. And as an added bonus, the shape of the cloud even sort of mimics the shape of the larches. Nice work…

1 Like

Much appreciated David and Ed and Lon! I’m a sucker for Blue with either Gold or Orange and got really lucky with those whispy clouds. They dissipated about 5 minutes later.

I am really enjoying the yellow and gold contrast and Ed’s comment about the cloud is right on the money. It was well worth the effort hunting these guys down.

1 Like