What's Below Him

In my last post, @Terri_Barnett said: “Makes me want to see what’s below him.” Well, this is what’s below him sometimes and illustrates that some birds like to catch the drops from the drip from below and some from above. In this case a Male Purple Finch above and a female of the same species below (and there’s no sexual bias-I have shots of the same thing with two males, they’re just not as good).

ON this drip, the water comes out a hole opening into the split you can see behind the male’s tail and just rolls down the inside and outside of the wood to drop off toward the bottom.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I did some cloning over a bright patch in the lower center and another around the female’s head.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I struggled some with the composition on this. I have some room all around available, though not much more on the right.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 at 289 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick mount, f/8, 1/1250, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & S CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image, Plumage enhancement with Topaz Detail 3. Cloning over bright areas as mentioned above. Adjustments to overall exposure, and targeted adjustemnts to the birds. Burned a couple of brighter areas on the perches.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Dennis,

This one was worth the wait. Composition and poses worked out well. Cloned out areas are nice and clean. Well done…Jim

Hi Dennis, very nice image. Really like the pose of the male and the drinking position of the female adds a lot of interest. Well composed too.

I like the double dip. Good catch on this behavior. Your next assignment is to catch the male and female drinking at the same time.

What a cool, unique setup. I love how you freeze the water. Both birds look good, and the setting is great. Only nit is that I’d run some NR on the BG.

That is so cool. You really do have quite the setup for the birds, Dennis. I am sure that they appreciate you, and so they pose nicely in appreciation.

Two very interesting bird positions and two completely different branches Dennis. Love the drop of water coming off of the female’s face like she’s shedding a tear. What a unique capture. Well seen and captured.

Thanks for sharing the setup. I bet that’s fun to watch with so many possibilities. I like being able to see what’s going on. This one is fun with both birds. I think you did good with the composition.