Whispy First Light +RP#2

1st Orig:

Alternate frame:

Reworked 2nd alternate. Thank you for the suggestions!

Been waiting since September to post. My family, including the gkids spent some time in a mountain cabin(house) in the Sierra in summer, did some fishing and things. Of course I’m not without the camera and took advantage of some early mornings on the deck overlooking the surrounding forest.

This is a fairly small Incense Cedar sapling catching the first rays of sun. I rather like the glow and whisphy details in this one.

Specific Feedback Requested

As always, your comments, feedback and suggestions are always welcome. I’m curious to know which version you prefer. For me, I’m leaning towards the first post with a little extra room and some scattering of interest in the background. But then the closer look at the lines works too. I think.

Color, processing?

Technical Details

Nikon D7100, 16-53mm @58mm(effective 87mm), f/9 1/4s iso 100. Single frame horizontal motion with a little verticle start.

2 Likes

A beauty Lon. Like the wispy nature and especially the remnants of some structure. The alternate framing is more pleasing to me.

A very unique ICM, Lon. I like it a lot. I think the higher frame is a stronger image, except that there’s one brand cut off on the lower right. The wider view has a sense of space though so that’s good, but it also has some background elements that draw my eye and I keep trying to identify. So, I’ll go with the alternate frame, sir. Well done.

Curious why you’ve been waiting since September to post? Just curious… :slightly_smiling_face:

This is another beautiful image Lon. I’m with Mario in that leaving some structural parts obvious in the photo turns it into something more than just another ICM abstract. To me, it then has hints of a watercolour painting. It’s just lovely (have I already mentioned that), in the same way as your Cypress -Leaves of sky.

I go for the first one as the second, wider scene, has less feel to it (to me anyway) and I get the sense of being pushed out of the right side of the frame. Cheers.

I will be a contrarian and choose the second, tighter photo. First because the sense of movement is greater to me (and I could tell it was a cedar, my second favorite tree) and I like the sense of isolation within that sphere of movement. It conveys restriction and the desire to get out; frustration in a sense that we all have when we’re confined somehow. In terms of processing that one, I’d raise the whites for more contrast.

Hi Lon,

Both of these are beautiful and very strong images. Just throwing my opinion in here…I prefer the second shot for a couple of reasons…

1. There is more of a sense of motion in the second shot, more airy and fanciful to my eye. Plus, a bit more room to breathe around the tree.
  2. The light in the upper left, presumably from a tree also getting some sunlight. I like the shape and visual presence of it in the second more than the first. In the first, it tends to grab my eye a bit more, taking it away from the cedar.

Both are beautiful. As always, it’s the artists choice.

Thank you so much for the comments and suggestions! I reworked the 2nd alternate. Added some canvas and magic on the right side to remove the edge tension. Also added a skosh of room up top and sliced a little off the left. I also brought up the whites a little, although it sure doesn’t look like too much in the post, but I tried. :slight_smile: Thanks for the suggestion @Kris_Smith

Thanks all! @Mario_Cornacchione , @David_Bostock , @Phil_G @Kris_Smith and @John_Pedersen !

1 Like

I see the difference and it sparkles now.

1 Like

I love it!!! Well done Lon.

1 Like

I’m late to this, Lon, but I do like the tighter composition. I actually feel that it might work even better cropped in from the left to remove the second lower branch. The feel of the image to me is of uplift and the extra room and second branch level with the first bring me down from that feel a bit. I love the light.

Love the reworked version Lon! Beautiful graceful motion in your image. Love the darker background which lets the subject stand out more. Great job!

WOW… I love the motion in this photo… What is in the upper left corner. very mysterious and interesting. Beautiful photo…