White-throated Sparrow catching a mayfly

Description: I believe this is a juvenile White-throated Sparrow catching a mayfly. I watched as he fluffed himself up before flying off. I did crop a little around edges and removed a small twig branch near his back side.

Here are camera details: Nikon D500, Lens 500mm 5/6.
Image details: 1250sec, F7.1, ISO set at 100 reads in at ISO 2800, manual pattern metering

Specific Feedback Requested: Please give me any feedback technically and composition wise.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A great catch on both your parts, Norma. As to composition, I’d be tempted to take a bit off the bottom and possibly just a sliver off the left. I think your focus ended up being on the wing in front of the face so the face itself is just slightly soft. You might add a little sharpening to it. I like it.

Nice catch! I’d remove from the top and a little from the left, and would try enough off the right to get rid of the branch – for me the bird is an interesting enough subject to make a portrait out of it without too much environment.

I’m curious what you mean by ISO set at 100 reads in at ISO 2800?

thank you Dennis, I will try that

Nice catch Norma. I like the backwards glance towards us and the mayfly as prey is great. Good suggestions offered above. Nice frame.