Wildhorse Reservoir sunrise

Wildhorse Reservoir and its state park in northern Nevada combine for a fine trout and scenery destination in late May or early June. More evidence that trout like beautiful places. This image is taken from a short distance from our campsite toward the lake. I selected the location the afternoon before and returned before sunrise. I hoped that the lines of lupine would lead toward the distant crater and mountain. I focus stacked 3 images, but should have used 4, as the nearest flowers required some heavy-handed sharpening.

All commentary certainly appreciated.

1 Like

Excellent. I love how the FG colors mimic the colors in the sky and mountain.

Thanks, I had not noticed that.

The color match was the first thing I noticed as well giving your image a sense of harmony and serenity.

I agree with @Eva_McDermott that this image has a calming quality - perfect for these times.

I like the softness of the light and the subtle glow on the peak. Its well balanced to my eye.

Dick,
The softness of the light and color really do set a peaceful mood for this sunrise. Well done!

Hi Dick,

I love the colour pallette you have acheived in this shot. It’s soft and really calm. I realy like the colour work

I have to be honest and say I’m not a fan or the foreground in the scene. The things that stand out to me quite a bit are the bush on the right. It draws the eye out the image and doesn’t add much to the scene. You could crop it out and guess and shift focus more to the mountains and the flowers. You have two very subtle leading lines in the flowers (red lines) that can be used to lead you into the image a bit more. By crooping the bush out these are less offset from the main subject.

In terms of the compsoition I feel that the flowers, as they are shot, don’t add much depth to the image. I think it’s the way they are arranged. It may be my personal preference but I think arrnaging the flowers so there was a definitive foreground (it’s doesnt have to be Marc Adamus dramatic) that sets a focal point and then draws you through the image. Rasing the camera a bit and looking down may have helped a bit with this. Or findfing some flowers that were bigger or formed a cluster as a foreground subject. I had a thought that you could have lined the three mounds up (blue arcs) to create a transition through the image from the flowery foreground - could have been achieved by talking a few steps to the left.

These were thoughts for if you ever visited there again. In terms of improving this image, I would just cut the bush out and maybe add the close stacked image if you it :slight_smile:

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Eugene

Eugene, you cannot imagine the warmth I feel with the time you took to advise me. As I compared your comments with your gallery and 2019 favorites, many thoughts flowed. Yes, that sagebrush on the right made me wonder about overall composition; I will work with that in PS …and hopefully next visit. Your other comments, and your comments in your 2019 Favorites made me think about how much of photography is about the emotion of the experience. Particularly interesting is your thought about flowers not adding depth. You are a mountain guy, and I am a bit of a flower guy. I must admit that the photo is a bit ambiguous about whether the flowers or the terrain are the star of the show.

I did not see the opportunity to align the “mounds” ; will keep an eye out for that sort of thing .

Separate topic, you seem to be very successful with near and far components of your images. Raising the camera up and pointing down was one of your suggestions, and I see that practiced in your images. Is that (with some stacking) how you achieve your near-far success? Some of your images look like you must use tilt-shift, but your Bio page intro only mentions Canon 16-35mm f4L. Your thought process and techniques about near-far would be a wonderful read on your blog or on NPN Learning With Experts