Willet Calling

Hi All,

This is the next in the series from Chincoteague. There were a few pairs of willets that seemed to have nests near a parking lot on the beach. Or perhaps they were still trying to couple up because they were also chasing each other all over the place. This photo is one of the willets calling at daybreak from a sandy dune. Because I wasn’t sure what was going on with in their nesting cycle, I didn’t spent much time with them.

In post, I cropped a bit for comp., did a curves adjustment, and toned down the warmness of the photo (the warmth of first light on the coast is truly something to see). I don’t love all the shells, but there’s not much to do there. I am curious what people think of the more in focus vegetation I left in. I tend to like it but can see how it can draw the eye. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D850
700mm, handheld
1/800
f/6.3
ISO 1250

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

I love the calling pose and the light is super gorgeous. If it’s not against your ethics, I do think the lower left corner can be cleaned up: the two blades of grass and the darker spot on the dirt mound.

Thanks, @Adhika_Lie. Not surprised that’s the response. Here’s another version.

1 Like

Oh, Lyle, you are starting to make me homesick! Another wonderful image from Chincoteague. I love the one foot up, and the mouth open on him. The little mound that he was on just put him at a nice level for a beautiful out of focus background. Yes, you are so right about the warm light at daybreak on Assateague, gorgeous. Looking forward to more of your shots.

Hi Lyle
I think you did a good job, getting low and letting viewer feel the sun worming up the day. The calling is great. By the way I vote for the first shot. It just paints a better picture of were the Willet is.
Peter

Hi Lyle, lovely light and fine details. Love the calling pose. I do believe I like the original image best. The grass adds another point of interest and balance for me. Fine background. Well done.

A dandy shot Lyle. I really like the warm light and colors and the calling pose of the willet. I am a little between Peter and Adhika. I preferred the original mound but without the three grass stems and dark patch. The extended mound seems to bring the scene closer to me the viewer if that makes sense. And nice positioning of willet in a dip in bg.

Nice calling pose and sweet light. I like seeing more of the mound, but could see removing the grass blades.

Great pose and light, Lyle. I think the bits of vegetation work. If I were to eliminate any, it would be the furthest left single blade. I like the shells-how else would you know it’s the coast?

great early morning light and glow. What really makes this image is the head turn forward and the open beak call with foot raised. I like the shells and would include more canvas at the bottom of the fram since it seems a little bit tight to me. Nice capture.

Beautiful light, and lovely raised leg calling pose. To my eye the first edit best balances the composition.

I also prefer the first edit but with cloning the grass. It shows a little more the perch which I find balances the composition. Nice behavior, color, and action. I like the setting.