Wilson's Warbler in Honey Mesquite

Image: Wilson’s Warbler in Honey Mesquite

Description: A late April trip to Joshua Tree aimed to capture Paloverde trees in bloom, but I was a bit late. Walked up a canyon to find Honey Mesquite blooming in rock pockets, and there to my huge surprise I found Wilson’s Warbler, Pacific Coast Flycatcher and Townsend’s Warbler. “What are you guys doing out here?” I exclaimed to no one there. Then I realized: By pure accident, I had encountered three spring migrants on their way north, feeding along the way. Wild little jewels, they were cooperative with the photographer, giving me some great images and a memorable wildlife moment.

Specific Feedback Requested: Risk of overexposure in the hot desert light – did I go too dark?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Olympus EM1MarkII, 1/1600th, f5.6, ISO250, 150MM lens (300MM equivalent on micro 4/3 camera.

2 Likes

Wonderful!! I think the exposure is good on the tree and BG but a bit dark on the bird. Here’s a quick mask and Curves treatment:

1 Like

Thanks Diane for the response and the improved image!
I like photographing big, slow-flapping egrets and big raptors, but getting a good shot of one of these tiny travelers among the branches is somehow more satisfying.

Hi James

I like this!
The color of the Warbler blends in well with the environment and the Honey Mesquite.
I like Diane’s edit but I like the original as well.
The brighter version seems to bring out the Warbler a little more though.
Either way, it’s a great capture and I like reading how you got it. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thanks Mervin the moment was indeed a gift. The birds were not just lovely, but wild enough to let me get close without disturbing them.
I expect to see desert birds in the desert, but not migrants. I’ll be looking for them again this season.

1 Like