Wings and Columns

I spent 3 days on a photo shoot at Silo city in Buffalo. The massive structures offered an unique opportunity to capture the essence of the grain storage facility, now long gone. The symmetry of this composition spoke to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, ISO 640, 18-35 mm lens @25 mm, 0.4 seconds, f11

1 Like

Paul, I love this. Excellent composition and the B&W treatment is icing on the cake. I suppose one could compose this with a perfect symmetry, but then I think it would be too static. The way you’ve composed it, there is some energy and movement that pulls me in. Well done.

Hi Paul. B&W is my favourite photography genre and I like this shot of yours. As David has commented, the composition has a feeling of energy, but also of tension with the foreground chutes. To me anyway, some form of feeling via tension, particular lighting, etc is need to make good B&W images otherwise they seem sort of flat and lifeless. If anything, I might try increasing the contrast by darkening the chutes to separate them more from the tones of the pillars. Looks great as it is though. Cheers.