Winter berries + repost

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Quasi-wild, I guess, as it is an unkempt suburban sidewalk tree – maybe a crabapple?? I’m staking it out for Cedar Waxwings (had good luck here the last 2 years) but it was a slow day yesterday so this is all I got. I think they are feasting on the vineyards right now, as most of the wine grape crop was left unpicked due to smoke damage from wildfires.

Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X, f/14, 1/500, ISO 1600. A branch cloned out in the UL.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Diane, the few berries (they do look like they might be crabapples), the bare branch and the significant negative space do create a wintery feeling. I think having the berries close to center may add to the isolated feeling…were this mine, I’d play with some crops putting the berries in other parts of the frame, just to see how they “felt”.

Diane: I really like the light here. This image says “early winter” to me. Excellent plane of focus and DOF management. >=))>

Diane, This is a very nice image. I really love how the limb comes down into the frame. The lighting is very nice. @Mark_Seaver’s suggestion of trying different crops is probably a good idea, never know how it can improve an already excellent image. I am guilty of not always doing that with my photos.

Thanks guys! @Mark_Seaver and @Shirley_Freeman, here’s an alternate crop that I do like better! I also cleaned up some of the detail in the BG.

2 Likes

Diane, I like this even better.

Glad you saw this small scene. The subject and background support each other nicely. I’ve been looking for some winter berries for my wreath, but have had no success. Oh well, the bow will have to supply the red.

Diane, I love the rework, this image tells a great nature story. And now the background is just so creamy looking. I like images that have an elegant simplicity, and this is certainly one of them. I this would look great as a print too !!

Thanks everyone! If I continue to have bad luck with Cedar Waxwings posing with these berries, maybe I’ll use this for our Christmas card. Is there a PS filter for Render Snow?

Diane,

You read my mind regarding the crop. Lighting and nice background allow the fruit to pop with color. I like your repost the best. Tighter crop was needed…Jim

Diane, Lovely image of berries (likely crabapples). I love the images of less-photographed and unusual subjects. Nice lighting, colors and background. I like the second crop better. I echo others’ thoughts about negative space, desolate feeling of the winter. As for the Cedar Waxwings eating the berries, I do have one with hundreds of berries around. Bill, would that be appropriate for this forum or the Avian forum?

Diane, your alternative crop of the berries is just excellent! It is so serene. Really good work with colors and DOF.

Thanks everyone! I was lucky to see this on a tree that really wasn’t very attractive.