Wire-tailed Manakin

Here’s a Wire-tailed Manakin from Sani Lodge in the Ecuadorian Amazon that we photographed this past summer.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5D4 500F4 1/100 F4.5, iso 2000, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley head, blind

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@trogon_photo_tours

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nate, never heard about this species, but knew it must be really small. I just can’t used to all the brightly colored birds y’all find down that way. The downward curl of the tail feathers is neat - is that a characteristic pose? Your framing looks pretty good, although I’d certainly crop off the right a little.

Thanks Bill, yes that is usually how the tail looks. I agree with taking a sliver off the right.

Neat capture of this very cool manakin Nate, and I like how the bird seems nicely separated against the jungle background. I think this would work well in a tighter vertical comp, but I like the image as posted.

Cheers

A very cool looking bird, Nate. Great pose and a good job keeping detail in the dark wings without making them look too light.

Great image - as always - and a new species to me, thanks for sharing ! Cheers, Hans

This really needs to be seen large as even with the dark area behind the tail, there is separation. Beautiful color and detail. I really like the tip of the perch mirroring the birds head