MARCH 18-21 2020 • SIX PARTICIPANTS • $975
Join me in March 2020 for an adventure along the amazing Oregon Coast. The Oregon Coast is known for its rugged cliffs, dramatic weather, and charming towns. Starting on the south end of the coast in the town of Brookings, we will have an open itinerary as we follow the weather and tides for four full days, shooting both sunrise and sunset and taking advantage of unique light and smaller scenes during the hours in between when possible. We will photograph some of the classic spots as well as lesser known locations that often get overlooked. While most people think of the summer as being beach season, photographers chase the winter storm systems moving inland which can create dramatic weather conditions all day long.
While the workshop will have a laid back approach, I am dedicated to guiding you through the entire photographic process from in-field technique to image processing. I will instruct you on choosing compelling compositions, how to utilize shutter speed for the best looking water flow, how to capture the proper amount of dynamic range and focal points, how to approach raw conversion, blending, sharpening, and artistic choices. Learn advanced processing skills that give you full control over your images and discover how to make your images stand out above the rest. Instruction goes far beyond the basics, although those who need more basic instruction will certainly be accommodated and with a small group size, you will enjoy a more intimate experience, having more time to work with me on an individual basis.
You’ll get to enjoy the company of a fun-loving instructor who is passionate about photography, eager to teach others all that he knows, and who is looking to have a good time helping others connect to nature through art.
Upon signup, participants will receive an in-depth brochure containing much more information. You can make your deposit payment towards the bottom of the page. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions! You can use the contact page to do so. I advise reading my Photography Workshop FAQ and Cancellation page if you are interested in attending. If you’d like to join the adventure, you can reserve your spot at https://tjthornephotography.com/product/oregon-coast-workshop/.
“Last week I attended an Oregon coast photo workshop run by TJ Thorne. I have been to a number of workshops, several of which have been run by famous photographers who are very accomplished. I would have to say that this was the best-run workshop I have been to. TJ went above and beyond my high expectations in providing us with fantastic photo opportunities, help with compositions, clear directions and scheduling, etc. Even better, he is truly passionate about what he does and he is just a really good guy to hang out with. I hope I get to do another workshop with him again, hopefully sooner rather than later.”
Dean F. - Fort Worth, TX; 2018 Oregon Coast Workshop
WHAT’S INCLUDED/ WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Expert guidance to the best photography locations on the Oregon Coast.
- Thoughtful in-field instruction on capture technique including:
- Visual exploration of the scene to identify compelling compositions that tell a story.
- Thinking beyond the obvious to create unique images that you are personally connected to.
- Creative use of every kind of light from soft to direct to backlit. We will explore the potential of all kinds of light and not rely solely on sunsets and sunrises.
- Everything technical: compensating for high dynamic range, focus stacking, exposing to the right, reading your histogram, tricks and tips for proper focusing, full manual control of your camera, and everything else!
- Processing instruction including my entire non-destructive workflow. I’ll teach you how to have the utmost control over each part of your image, shaping the scene to create a dynamic and compelling photograph. The processing session will be recorded for you so that you can continue to learn at your own speed after the workshop has ended.
- Guaranteed adventure with an instructor who is eager to share his knowledge and help you grow as an artist and person.
- Meals and Snacks
- I highly recommend purchasing Travel Insurance to protect your investment in the case that your trip is jeopardized due to unforeseen circumstances.
While adventure and great photos are our main goal, your safety is a priority along with treating the land we travel on with respect, practicing “leave no trace” ethics. I am a seasoned backcountry traveler, first aid certified, and insured. Photographing on the coast comes with it’s inherent risks and while I prioritize your safety and keeping an eye on the ocean for you, your personal awareness is also a must. Sneaker waves, deep underwater wells, and precarious perches are just some of the hazards that you may encounter. It is advised that participants be able to hike comfortable up to three miles per day on uneven surfaces. While great shots can be had from safer spots, some of the more dramatic photographs may require you to stand in the surf, on rocks, or near cliff edges.
In order for participants to have a comfortable experience where they can concentrate on the photography, it is highly advised that you have proper attire consisting of non-cotton outdoor dedicated clothing, including an assortment of layers to keep you warm down to the occasional 40-50 degree temperatures.
“I can’t thank you enough for providing an adventure of a lifetime. I have been on a few workshops over the past 4 years and I must say this was by far the most professionally run workshop. My experience during this past week far exceeded my expectations!! Your knowledge of photography and willingness to share your passion and love for the outdoors is second to none. The sights, sounds, hikes, conversations, your patience, attention to detail, sense of humor and willingness to teach myself and others have given me memories for life. Your command for PS post processing techniques were very impressive, informative and the added touch of providing us the video and audio will be an invaluable teaching tool. I am so happy that I can do my little part in helping you follow your dream.”
Bob K. - Tucson, AZ
WHAT TO BRING
- Your Camera. You can choose to use any camera you like, but a digital camera with full manual control and interchangeable lenses is highly recommended and give you the best experience. It is advised that you fully understand how to operate your camera.
- Lenses. There are opportunities to use any focal length possible, so bring all that you can, wide to long.
- Tripod. We will often be shooting in low light or capturing water motion, requiring longer exposure times.
- Filters. Generally all you will need to use is a polarizer and neutral density filters. Although, it is possible to get great shots without either.
- Other gear. Several batteries, plenty of memory, a remote trigger, lens cleaning supplies(we highly recommend kimwipes). Shooting on the coast can result in a film on your lens that is difficult to clean. A bottle of fresh water and several ‘clean’ rags for the removal of this film is suggested.
- Clothing & shoes. Weather conditions on the Oregon Coast at this time of the year can range from 40-60 degrees. Layers including a hat and gloves can help keep you comfortable. Waders and water shoes are highly recommended.
- Snacks and hydration . Maintaining energy and hydration is very important when out in the wilderness. Energy bars, nuts, seeds, and water are recommended. At times we could find ourselves in remote areas, hours from the nearest store, so a good stock of snacks is highly advised.
- Willingness to learn and discover.
PAYMENT AND TERMS
A nonrefundable deposit of $375 will be required upon sign up. The balance of $600 is due 45 days (February 2, 2020) prior to the date of the workshop. Cancellations that occur 45 days or more before the start of the workshop will forfeit deposit. Cancellations that occur within 45 days of the workshop will forfeit their full payment. There are no exceptions to these terms. You can make your payment below. After payment is made, a PayPal invoice will be sent so that further payments are simple and easy. I advise reading my Photography Workshop FAQ and Cancellationpage if you are interested in attending.