WWII Era Aging

2010, Vienna, Austria. World War II era U.S.A. Military Police jeep, aging nicely. I guess the driver is too.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1Ds II, EF 24-105mm @ 58mm, 1/160sec @ f/4.0, ISO 100, handlheld

1 Like

This looks very good, David. B&W certainly fits the car, driver and bicycle (making the newer station wagon in the back feel a bit out of place). The luminosity range is great.

Is the Weekly Challenge category no longer restricted to nature?

That’s a great question, @Igor_Doncov.

@Mark_Seaver, what say you, sir?

Cheers,
David

@David_Bostock , @Igor_Doncov

I say it’s open to anything that can be posted to an NPN gallery.

It is interesting to see that the majority of posts involve human aging…

2 Likes

Seems like an odd question to me. Yes NPN is nature based but the Non-Nature category is open to almost anything as I recall. Vehicles, Boats, Buildings, Bridges, …etc are posted there right? Would that not leave the WC open to the same?

Regardless, the old guy here looks like he might almost be WWII era himself… :cowboy_hat_face:
The vintage jeep looks like it is well taken care of too. If the later model vehicle in the background was missing the scene could have past for WWII era…well done, David… :+1:

1 Like

If I thought it was odd I wouldn’t have asked. The Non-nature category was created as an extra category to satisfy nature photographers who have an image they want to share. Those images are not reviewed by the moderators and therefore are never chosen for any recognition. The Weekly Challenge images are recognized weekly and at the end of the year like all the other categories. So yes, there are differences.

But it’s not only the Weekly Challenge. Today I saw a cityscape in the landscape category that did not have a shred of nature. Not even the sky. This is an extreme case but there have been numerous such images recently. There must be some rules somewhere that spell all this out.

As far back as I can recall the WC seemed flexible and open to all category items including as you’ve mentioned the Non-Nature Category. That category I assume was a spinoff of the original Man In Nature, POP, or something like that.
Anyway, I totally agree on your point about Non-Nature items in the Landscape Category . As I remember those were a moderators judgement call for relocation to a more appropriate category.
“There must be some rules somewhere that spell all this out”.
I’m sure the categories are clearly outlined but over time some of the newer folks forget or did not really know.

1 Like