Young and Curious

Young sea otters (Enhydra lutris). like all younger animals, are curious. This individual was intent on the photographer, an intruder he may not have encountered before. The coloration of their pelage (fur) is usually deep brown with silver-gray speckles, but it can range from yellowish or grayish brown to almost black.

Technical Details

Composite: No
EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 380mm; f/16 @ 1/160 sec, ISO 250

3 Likes

Delightful. Looks like a sea otter - just about the cutest animal ever. We have river otters here and while I do have a video of them, I’ve never managed a shot like this. Well done.

Thank you Ms. Smith. Yes, indeed that is a sea otter. I did not distinguish that fact because I identified it by its scientific name which does define it as such. However, I edited the description above by adding the word “sea” to eliminate any future confusion. To capture portrait images of animals one must be very patient, mindful not to encroach on their zone of comfort and use as long a lens as possible to gain their comfort and confidence. Sea otters are not as rambunctious as river otters so you often just need to hang around their raft and let them come to you.