Yummy Scummy for my Tummy

I believe this is a female Green Winged Teal. It was definitely hanging out the male. This was a very bright day with a lot of wind on-and-off, gusts probably up to 30 mph. It looks moderately calm in this image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Last week, I posted an image of a female Bufflehead. Dennis noticed some streaking on the image. This image also has streaking, especially in the out of focus areas. Looking at images from the shoot, those with a brown to green water background/foreground exhibit this phenomenon. The ones with the blue water background/foreground do not appear to exhibit this phenomenon.

Has anybody seen this before and do we have any idea what causes it or how to eliminate it. I have never seen this before.

I will post additional images where I see this phenomenon following this post.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
All images are iso 250, 400+1.4 X, F4 .5, 2000th, A7r4

Here are the raw images. Unprocessed other than conversion.

Hi David
Are these all taken with the same lens? The problem seems to only the bokeh. (out of focus area).
Peter

All taken with same lens within 30 minutes or less. Sun at my back. Same general area. Same direction. Same angle. Similar distance. Plus or minus wind. Similar background.

I don’t have a clue, David, but one possibility-were you in silent shutter mode? I was using it with the A6500 a while ago and got some really weird effects, then found a description of why they happen when I was reading an ebook on the A7Riv. It was a completely different result for me, but if there’s movement in the image it can create weird effects.

Out of focus specular highlights on the water surface?

Nice look at the teal. When i first looked at it I thought Gadwall, but that would not likely be hanging out with a teal and a big difference in size. Strange about the streaking. I would have thought if not natural then maybe the lens but…
I like how you cleaned up the water. Looks good.

Hi David, lovely detail on the duck. Love all the different patterns in the feathers. I really don’t know about the streaking. It’s not apparent to me in these images.

Hi David
I found this article on Bokeh at Fast Shutter Speeds
Bokeh at Fast Shutter Speeds

One issue that grew in recognition recently in the photography world is the potential for EFCS images to have nervous bokeh at fast shutter speeds. It is certainly more visible in some cases than others, and I’d argue that even a worst-case scenario is not especially bad. Nevertheless, here are three crops demonstrating bokeh differences. Mechanical is first, followed by EFCS, then electronic. I took these at 1/2000 second to exaggerate any differences in bokeh that may appear.
You ave to go yo the link to see the photos
Bokeh.jpghttps://photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Electronic-Shutter-Bokeh.jpg
Peter