Abandoned Piers

Urban decay is not my genre of choice, but this scene along the Delaware River peaked my interest. I returned one morning during bad weather. It was so foggy that no clear boundary existed between the horizon and the fog. I would have preferred more space at the bottom, but I was already standing against the rocky shoreline. Does this image work? Should I crop the top of the image to match the bottom? Any comments are welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D810, Nikon 24-120 f/4, 24mm @ f/11 for 15 seconds

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This belongs in the non-nature category. The atmosphere is interesting, and the comp works well to draw the eye into the scene, but itā€™s too cramped at the bottom.

Marc - like the feel of this image. Iā€™d actually go more aggressive on the crop. Iā€™d try coming in from the left and top almost down to the pylons and just slightly on the right. Bottom crop could come up just shy of the reflection of the second horizontal pylon. To me that crop places more emphasis on the subject, adds some depth and introduces more of an abstract feeling to the image. Just an option to consider.

This is superb in every aspect Marc. I wouldnā€™t crop a thing. Iā€™m a water person and over the years Iā€™ve seen an awful lot of abandoned piers. You POV along with the light, fog, flat water and reflections come together perfectly. If I can venture it, this has a very nice ā€œStonehengeā€ feel to it, appropriate in my mind as it speaks of a time and life long gone.

1 Like

This is excellent! Great mood, sense of mystery and even a bit abstract. Outstanding image.

That said, Bill is correct that this should be in non-nature. A human element is allowed, but only if it is not the main subject. I am moving this beauty over to the non-nature critique gallery.

I appreciate the feedback, everyone! As a new member, I was not sure what category this image fit into. In my local photo group we call this a ā€œManscapeā€- that is a landscape that shows the hand of man.

Marc, a really nice ā€œManscapeā€ here. Only thought for change here for me is a bit more room at the bottom. Seems a bit tight there. Maybe a canvas addition down there with adding slightly more water as a buffer below the bottom piling base.
Regardless, a very fine imageā€¦:+1:

I would put this in the ā€˜mind-benderā€™ category. The water line is so perfectly placed that you canā€™t tell whether this is a reflection or the full structure of the pier. Iā€™m not as enthused as the others about this ambiguity.

Strikingly beautiful image. The fog, the reflection, the repetition. It all comes together in this one. Iā€™m a little unsure about the warm color though. Was this the natural light? This seems like it might work better with cool, blue light or maybe even monochrome.

Moody and mysterious; this is a wonderful image, Marc. The lack of a horizon line only adds to the mood IMO. I could also see this with a little cooler white balance and a little canvas added to the bottom; minor stuff though. Great eye to spot this scene.