Adjusting your website images to look better on generic computers

I am an amateur landscape photographer, and I have my own website. When I view my photographs on a calibrated monitor at home, they look great. When I view them on other PCs, they appear anywhere from good to poor. Specifically, my shots lack contrast and saturation. Although I cannot possibly compensate for all monitors, should I try to make some attempt to boost the images? Thank you.
www.photography36.smugmug.com

Hi Marc - I just took a look at your website on my calibrated monitor and the photos look good to me. I do not see any issue with the photos looking dull, which seems to be what you are describing above (lacking saturation and contrast).

For my own photos, I look at them on my calibrated monitor, my laptop, and my iPhone and if they look good in those three places, I consider my work done in terms of prepping my photos to share online. It is frustrating that photos look so different across devices but beyond calibrating your own monitor and checking your photos on one or two other devices, it is beyond your control and thus, in my mind, not worth worrying about. Most photographers viewing photos online will have a calibrated monitor (or know that images look a certain way on a phone, for example, and adjust their expectations) and non-photographers won’t know enough to see a difference.

2 Likes