After a morning bath

This young giant just finished an early bath in the pond on the right. This was about 6:00 in the morning. The sun was casting him in a nice warm glow.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
D850, 70-200 at 70mm, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/500 sec hand held

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Lovely image, Steve. I really like the lighting that brings out so much skin texture. I do wish that one out of focus shrub in the right foreground weren’t there, but that’s one of the limitations of shooting from a safari vehicle. Still, I’d love to have taken this image.

Thanks Dennis! I agree about the bush. I would like to have cloned it out but I didn’t think that would work out very well.

I definitely don’t have the skills to remove something that complex without replacing the entire background and that would defeat the purpose in this case. I have to admire the safari drivers. Three of us did Ridgefield in one vehicle last winter and I had a tough time positioning the car for just that many photographers.

1 Like