Along the way

I was walking my local trail one morning with the hopes of finding some wildlife and noticed the color of the leaves and the morning light on this particular tree. I used a longer lens to isolate this section. I was limited to where I could stand without straying too far off the path (provincial park with official stay on the trail rules) or being blocked by other trees.

Specific Feedback Requested

There was some smaller trees/shrubs that are out of focus in the lower left and a single out of focus branch about 1/4 of the way in from the right hand side. Although not technically perfect there is something about this image that I like. I believe there is enough sharpness in the image in the center part with the bare branches. Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

It was shot hand held at f/6.3, 1/400, iso160 on a fully frame camera at 600mm on a 200-600mm lens. Minimal processing in LR with basic input sharpening.

1 Like

Hi Bryan,

Overall this is a pretty nice image. However, right off the bat I am distracted by the front layer of out of focus branches in front of the subject tree. Next, I think the WB is a bit too warm, which is not uncommon for fall scenes. Just by cooling down the WB and adding a little green you can feel the shadows more and you start to get a lot more color separation and contrast without needing to go any brighter or darker with the scene. Of course now this also accentuates the out of focus branches even more with the extra color separation, so that goes back to the original problem I mentioned.

Hope this is helpful!

1 Like

@Eric_Bennett thanks for the feedback it does help. Usually I know when an image works and I’ve been working on learning why some of my images are close to working but fail which I find a useful exercise.

1 Like