An Icon From A Fence Post

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What comes to mind when you see this picture–any emotions or feelings?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This iconic willow in Wanaka, New Zealand, attracts photographers worldwide. It says more to me when I know that 80 years ago, it was a fence post. It was foggy both days we were able to photograph it. This tree was one of the highlights of the trip. We had traveled halfway around the world and hoped for the ideal circumstances to photograph it. Did we succeed? I will let you decide.

Technical Details

Sony a7vi, ISO 64, f/22, 20 sec. shot at 105 mm
Processed in LR and PS using Topaz Denoise and the TK8 panel to finish editing the picture.

Specific Feedback

Technical feedback is welcome. But I am also interested in the emotional and aesthetic appeal it has.

6 Likes

Wow, this is magical. I think you framed it beautifully with the trunk of the tree and the L branch wrapping around the Island in the BG. Love the FG stones under the water and that great wispy shadow. The fog in the background is a bonus. I would love to be standing in front of this view. Lucky you. This is really, really nitpicking, but I always do an edge check. When I enlarge the photo on the rt side where the mountain meets the edge, there is a road (I think) that might show up if you were to print this image, which I think you should do. Maybe clone it out. Very, very minor. Be proud! You succeeded!

Mesmerizing!
Normally I would say that that hat island mid left might be unbalancing - but here it adds so much !

The oinly thing I’m sure you’d wish is - a windless moment - reflections

WOnderful nevertheless

My initial reaction is that I’m seeing a dancer. Even though the tree is still the bends and twists gives a sense of movement. Music could go with this image. Symmetry also plays a big role here as well.

The best part of the image are the intricate branches and shape above the water. I cropped top and bottom the make the tree a bigger portion of the image. I don’t feel all that space below is that helpful. I also raised the exposure because I don’t see this as a sad subject.

Beautiful image! I wonder if stepping a little to the left would have separated the tree a bit more from the island.

Lovely image of an iconic scene. I wouldn’t change a thing…

Thank you, @Donna_Callais , @Karl_Zuzarte , @Igor_Doncov , @Ronald_Murphy, and @Matt_Payne, for taking the time to give the feedback I value. The idea of “edge check” is one I need to practice every time. A windless reflection is a photographer’s dream. This day we were waiting for the ducks to swim away! I appreciate the comments about the island’s position in the picture and moving about to find a better composition. I want to tone the island down a little so it isn’t quite so dominant. A square crop and raising the exposure give a whole new feeling to the picture; thanks.

1 Like

Here is a different composition of the Wanaka Willow with your suggestions considered. Which would you choose? @Ronald_Murphy @Igor_Doncov

2 Likes

Thanks Matt.

I think the original was better. It’s now crowded up top.

I think so too. Thanks.

I think this is a very lovely image, Barbara. I love the reflection of the tree. I personally like it when a reflection has movement to it. It gives it a dreamy look. This has a very calming peaceful feeling to it and almost a ‘through the looking glass’ part real and part fantasy world look. Really nice composition.

1 Like

P.S. I just read your description. That’s really amazing, now I know what your title means! I never heard of this tree before!

1 Like

Vanessaa, what you said “almost a ‘through the looking glass’ part real and part fantasy world look” is a new idea to me. I like it. Thank you.

1 Like

I love the Wanaka Tree, but, as you say in your title, it’s an oft-photographed icon. So very difficult to get an original image of it. I haven’t read your intention yet, but what I do like about this image is the cool misty tones and, of course, reflections in the lake (they aren’t perfect but that adds to the mystery). The island gives it something legendary, Excalibur comes to mind.

1 Like

Madeleine, thank you so much for noting the features that attract you. Originality is a challenge, but I accept it was a first for me, and don’t worry about what others did or saw.

1 Like

That’s so important!

1 Like

I love love your image!! I like the reflection, and being able to see the bottom of the lake as it leads up to the tree. The background then has the little island off to the side. This picture just takes my eye from the bottom of the photo right on up thru the top. And its a very enjoyable ride. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks, Judi. I am glad you enjoyed the ride.

1 Like