Arboreal Grasp + Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This scene from the Tasmanian wilderness truly lets you feel the damp, mossy air around you. I was taken by the way the tree’s roots curved around the rock, reminiscent of a fish’s open mouth, capturing the rock in what seems like a quiet nod to nature’s humor.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

16 mm at ISO 640 and 1⁄50sec at ƒ/8

1 Like

I like this image, and I think your camera position is interesting. You definitely get the feeling of the trunk arching away from you, and the wide angle lens helps with this.

My only suggestions would perhaps a slight crop from the left, so that the main part of the trunk is at the edge of the frame, and also perhaps seeing how a darker rendition of the image looks. That might enhance the damp forest feel.

A nicely composed image Don, I like the unusual shape of the tree which keeps me engaged with the image. I think as Will mentioned, a slight darkening of the image, particularly in the lower foreground might help to bring a little more drama into the image…

@WillR @Charles_Millen

Thanks for the feedback! I went the whole hog and darkened the image, I think the result is a lot more dramatic. Thanks again. :pray:

1 Like

Nice image. The limited color palette is very pleasing. I also like the composition. I actually like the lighter version better. But different strokes.

My first impression of this was an almost sinister look to the massive trunk. I think your edit nicely amplifies that.