Arctic morning light

In my previous post about an abstract scene I wrote “It was taken in northern Norway while the whole surrounding was glowing with pink mountain peaks (I succumbed to my wide angle addiction first with those peaks, then worked on this :wink: ).” I thought I’d upload the wide angle shot taken in the same area too.
I used a large what Italians so beautifully call sastrugi in the foreground while the sunrise illuminated the snowy landscape under a dark sky.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback about composition, processing/colorwork is welcomed.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
D810 + 14-24 with f/14 - 1/5 s - ISO 64 - 14 mm. Focus in direct fg, rock in mg and bg for focus stack. Cool WB chosen and pinks emphasized.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.!

3 Likes

I like your composition and the nice background light. It might be my old eyes, but the mountains look a bit soft? Otherwise, it works nicely for me.

1 Like

Well done, Ron, great depth, leading line and warm/cool color contrast, I like it.

1 Like

This hits everything in my book. That light on the peaks are just gorgeous and you have a beautiful foreground to complement it.

1 Like

Great Photo Ron, the way the curve leads me to the light is awesome!!!

1 Like

Superbly crafted image, Ron. The snowdrift provides a great line into the frame. Subtle processing looks realistic and beautiful. No suggestions.

1 Like

Ron,
The light on the BG peaks is lovely and I like the fact that the snow is not to deep as to obscure other details in the scene. I also like the way the ridge of the snowdrift pulls me into the image. No suggestions from me.

1 Like

Ron, this image is excellent, both the composition and processing are very well done. I love how you used the sastrugi in the composition, it creates a tremendous feeling of depth. Many vertical images come across as primarily having a foreground, mid-ground and background. You have that here, but I like how your use of light and shadow has also given this image a strong sense of also having a left and right side. This breaks the image up into 4 interesting quadrants that help move your eye around the scene. Excellent work on this image :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Ron, the leading line of the sastrugi works beautifully in setting off the distant peaks with their fine light and shadow combination. This is a fine, “puts you right there” view.

1 Like

Thanks so much to all! :slight_smile:
@Harley_Goldman It’s not your eyes :wink: The mountains on the left indeed have a touch of softer contrast. I might try to remove it from the darks a bit to see what I like better!

Ho @Ron_Jansen, beautiful shot. I love the composition with this strong leading line and the contrast between sky and peaks. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

The snowdrift provides a wonderful lead in Ron. I like the warm glow on the mountains as well.

1 Like

I love this unique composition, and the light is superb. I was playing with a crop from the bottom, which might be possible, but not necessary.

2 Likes

@masdamb @Eva_McDermott @Kathy_Barnhart Thank you!
Kathy, I totally agree on the crop. I have it in 4x5 as well, but I don’t mind the extra fg-space in this 2x3 either. :slight_smile: