Basking Cooter

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On what was the warmest day so far this spring (a couple of weeks ago), the turtle population was enjoying the sunshine so much so that I could get quite close without them diving. This Red-bellied Cooter was one of the most cooperative as it basked on a mossy, weedy stump.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 500, 1/100 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod, a 5 shot stack to get the head and front of the shell sharp.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

YIKES, that closeup is a bit menacing, Mark. Although, admittedly he seems quite content and just taking things in there. I don’t see any items or thoughts for change here… :sunglasses:

Hi Mark, I like the patterns on turtle heads and legs so this is an intriguing image to me. Sharp on the head where it should be and I like a glimpse of the mossy rock too.

Really good closeup of the turtle Mark. The detail in the head and shell is really good, good choice with the stack. I also love those back feet sticking out in the air like turtles do. Just happy to be alive!

Turtles basking have such a particular quality of relaxation and bliss. Nothing menacing here for me, but what looks to be an amputated foot makes me sad. I’ve encountered plenty in the same shape, and no doubt is a near-miss with a predator in an earlier time. Interesting how differently shaped the face/nose is with other types of similar turtles. Back feet extended and splayed to catch all the heat possible. A good shot of a satisfied reptile.