Bats on the move

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Lesser-nose Bats {Leptonyteris yerbabuenae} are again migrating south to Mexico. They come north in the spring, pregnant and set up their colonies in caves. They pollinate the night blooming flowers like Saguaro, Agave and cirius. They are essential to the Tequila industry . Most of the bat species are now endangered. On their way south, they empty our hummingbird feeders every night.
I liked this image because it shows him/her in full flight. The wing span can be up to 14 in. This is closer to 11 or 12. Just can’t tel how far away he/she was.

Specific Feedback

Any feed back is welcome. Hate to have to rely on feeders but, not many blossoming cacti to attract them.

Technical Details

Canon R6, Canon 100-500mm,176mm, f/14 , ISO 2000, 1/100 sec. Single Godox flash at 1/16th power. Tripod. Pluto laser trigger.
Edited in LR. Cropped, masked the feeder to darken it.

I don’t know if this is cheating Adding one more image.

I’m thinking it may be a boy bat. Any Bat experts can help me out.

Two very nice images, Charlie. I think you actually got better detail in the second one. Exposure looks very good. Yes, it’s OK to post more than one image. In fact the image submission form lets you post several (either 4 or 5, I can never remember).

On that first one, I’d be tempted to get rid of the out of focus stuff on the left edge and add some canvas over there for the bat to fly into.

Thanks Dennis. This is the redo. Guess I still like the second one also. First one just isn’t balanced but, it is what it is.

1 Like

These are tremendous, especially considering the extinction in the bat population that humans have wrought by spreading the fungus that is killing them. What precious creatures they are and I miss seeing them in my yard in the treetops. Thanks for sharing.