Beach Royalty

Royal tern on the beach in Southwest Florida. Went to the beach to practice photographing birds in flight. This is a great place to practice focus tracking on fast moving small birds. Late afternoon with the tide out allowed me to get in the water a shoot back toward the land. On the beach there are plenty of birds to photograph and I find the terns most photogenic. You might see more of them in the near future.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any would be appropriated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Is there enough or too much room for the tern to fly into?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D850 70 200 f/2.8

1/2000 sec F/6.3 ISO 220 handheld
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Kelly, you caught a dramatic pose and I like the shadow/reflection on the water as well. Composition looks good to me with plenty of room for the bird to fly into. The contrast seems a bit heavy handed for my taste. nice catch - looking forward to seeing more.

Hi Kelly
I agree with Allen. Did you use any sharpening on the photograph? The tern’s eye and feather behind the head are clipped out (black). Anyway even with that I like the shot.
Peter