Being thankful

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was a fun project for me. Using an image of a spotted cucumber beetle on top of a Turk’s cap flower, I rotated and repeated the image 18 times to generate this wreath-like composite. I added a warm gradient to the background and the text. Now, here is my biggest mistake for the image: I did not save the PS file. In other words, any changes to the file would mean re-creating it from scratch.

Specific Feedback

First off, I know now to save the PS files so that if I have to re-edit something like this, I can go back and work on the different layers. Other than that, are the warm tones pleasing? How about the crop? I believe this begs for a square crop. As for the text, I left it generic so that it would be more applicable to the season as a whole and not a specific holiday. What are your thoughts?

Technical Details

The original image was shot handheld on a Sony 7M4 , 1/500 sec at f/7.1, ISO 400 (aperture priority mode). Edited in LR (basics) and PS .

I love it, Egidio. Very well thought out and executed. And yes, remembering to save the PS file with all the layers sure helps. Luckily, you nailed this one. The square crop works for me, but if you actually use it as a greeting card, be aware that square envelopes are charged more postage because it takes an extra step to make sure they go through the scanners correctly.

1 Like

Thank you, Dennis.

Do people still use paper cards? Two years ago, I decided to save trees and started sending out only electronic cards.

Gorgeous! No editing needed for my tastes. Very imaginative and well done, and worth all the work.

1 Like

Love this, @Egídio! Did you take 18 shots of the flower? I’m amazed that the beetle stayed there. Or I may have misinterpreted your technique. Regardless, it really is lovely! Not a thing I’d suggest, either.

1 Like

Very creative and nicely done, @Egídio. Love the soft colors and the square crop works well with the image. I think all of us at one time or another have forgotten to save a file. What a hard lesson, but I’ve rarely forgotten to save a file since.

1 Like

Thank you, @Diane_Miller, @Susanna_Euston, and @linda_mellor, for your feedback.

No, it was a single photo. I then rotated it 20 degrees and repeated that 18 times (to make the 360 degrees). Each repetition moved the file by 20 degrees.

Lesson learned. I will try to recreate the file when I have some time (yeah, likely).

1 Like