Best Light

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What did I miss or overdo?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

One of the most prominent, and certainly most photographed, structures in Makoshika SP in Montana, is graced with low-angle, late afternoon light, making it glow as well as defining its rugged facade.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D IV; EF 28-70mm @ 60mm; f/16 @ 1/250 sec, -1.67 EV ISO 200; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; remote trigger

Specific Feedback

What about the image attracts/distracts you? Would more sense of place, i.e. wider angle capture, be more attractive?

2 Likes

Hi Bob, my first reaction was ‘wow’, what color and texture on that mountain! It’s dynamic, sharp and colorful, for sure! Yet I found myself feeling it was a bit too much mountain - the lower part and right part felt extraneous to me. I wanted to get closer in a sense. So I downloaded and cropped it a bit just for reference. Putting the peak off center to the right seemed to help balance it a bit more for me, and I don’t think it changed your intentions - although I have to write this first and then go look at the rest of your comments!

1 Like

Thank you @brenda_tharp for your comments. I included the lower extent because it is where some of the most well-known hoodoos are. Often those formations are captured very close-up which means there is little sense of place.

The warm light and formations are quite beautiful Bob. I like the crop suggestion from @brenda_tharp as I think it takes an already beautiful image up another notch. Nicely done!

Thank you @ Ed_Lowe for you kind remarks. I have not seen Brenda’s proposal so I have no idea how much crop she is considering. I did respond to her comment to explain why I set the composition as I did

Hi Bob, hopefully you have seen the uploaded crop I did by now. It was odd - I uploaded it but could not see it myself for several minutes…but I do see it here now. Hopefully I didn’t remove those hoodoos that you wanted! And it’s just a suggestion, of course.

@brenda_tharp, yes I did see it today. The hoodoos I mentioned are intact with your crop. Thank you. It does make the image stronger with the ridge crest prominent as a leading line from the lower right up to the face of the mountain.