Bison Hollow Nature Reserve, Hocking Hills, Ohio

Description: This was taken on land owned by Appalachia Ohio Alliance.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Fuji XT3, 10-24 lens, ISO 160, 1 second at f11 at 11mm.

It is not a composite, but it is a combination of two photos, processed in Lightroom & Photoshop, with Topaz Adjust and dodging. My question - is it too much HDR from combining the photos?

Any feedback welcome. Thanks.

I don’t think it looks too HDR-like. I’m not really seeing any of the odd unnatural contrast that HDR can bring.

I don’t know if this is an easy place for you to access, but I’d be tempted to try to visit again with more water flow. The falls look like they have great potential, and this scene would look much better if they were more dominant IMHO.

On an aside, have you tested your lens to see at what aperture it is the sharpest? I was surprised to find mine is sharpest essentially wide open. There are times that this can be useful, but I really wish it was sharper in the midrange apertures.

@John_Williams, thank you John! I appreciate your feedback. I will check my lens and see where it’s sweet spot is. I haven’t ever done that, unfortunately, but it’s a great idea. And I can go back in the Spring when the water flow is heavier. This was my first time here. My photos will be shared with the non-profit that bought the land, Appalachia Ohio Alliance. I’m going to post another one I took on this trip (1-1/2 hours away).

Does not look HDR to me at all. If anything it is a little flat. Could use a bit of color boost in my opinion.

I do like the composition and also agree with John about the water flow. Definitely a place to go back to a few times under different conditions if possible.

Ryan

Roberta,

I do like the composition and agree with the others that it does not look over done on the colors. Based on the longer exposure, this was low light and the colors look appropriate IMO. I have not yet made it to Hocking Hills, but this image is motivating me to make the trip.

Alan

This is a really great scene. I’m picking up maybe a bit of a magenta cast to the image but I don’t think you’ve overdone the HDR effect here.

Really interested in this spot, I love about 1.5 hrs away and in my research it seems it is a bit of a challenge to get to. Did you find that to be the case?

@ryan3, @Alan_Kreyger, @David_Wallace, thank you all for your feedback. I did go back in and boost the light and color a bit. I’m posting a revised photo.

Hocking Hills is a beautiful area and it’s about an hour away for me. The land I was on in this photo is not part of Hocking Hills State Park; it is owned by Appalachia Ohio Alliance and there are no “trails”, but you can contact AOA through their website if you want to go there. It is a bit difficult to find, and contacting AOA to get directions would be best.

I like the first with the cooler lighting. Tweak contrast up a tiny bit might be all this one needs. Well done…Jim

I also like the first version and for me it for sure does NOT have that “BIG HDR” look at all. Well done!!!

@Jim_Zablotny @Keith_Flood My apologies for the late reply. Thank you both for you comments! I appreciate any feedback. I liked the first one too, but someone said it was flat, so I changed it to see what everyone thought. Many thanks!