Black Spruce Tower

Not many trees can make it in the boreal forests of Northern Canada. Black spruce, perhaps the most tenacious of trees, are among the few that can somehow eke out a place to grow where it often seems that there is nothing but bald rock to grow on. So, it is rare to see Black Spruce as tall as these three here. Usually, there isn’t time, being that they’re burned in lightning fires or simply blown down because, what soil there is offers so little for their roots to anchor to. This was a campsite that we found off a portage that ran along a high ridge parallel to the river below. I was marvelling at how these three sisters had gotten a foothold and held the space just when the late sun broke through the clouds – “We’re ready for our close-up Mr. DeMille”. Thoughts, comments and critique is always welcome.

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

Hi Kerry,

These trees do look like theuy have been tested extensively by the environment. The composition is excellent, but I like sky with the clouds. Seems to be an essential feature and am glad that you were present to get the scene…Jim

This is one of those pictures that is wonderfully meaningful when you have the story to go with it; thanks for the background. How tall are these?

Great trees, great light, and great clouds, what more could you ask for? I actually like the perspective distortion from the lens, it makes the leaning trees on the sides look like they are bowing to the three sisters. and the clouds add something here, I’m not sure this image is anywhere near as strong if it had just a bluebird sky. These trees are very stately, and I think your composition does them justice. I like this image a lot Kerry, nice work.

Kerry,

This is wonderful; a great image capturing the stately presence of these trees - and yes, the back-story emphasizes even more. But even without, this is great imagery.

Interesting, my comments coming on the heals of some followup comments on @Kris_Smith 's “Do you Trust Happiness” image where I though the sky wasn’t adding to the scene. Well, clearly the sky here is a wonderful and very complimentary element and I agree with Ed that a bluebird sky really wouldn’t have made for a great image.

I love the warm and dappled light on the spruce as well as the color contrast between the yellow-greens of the spruce and the steely blues in the sky. And for that, I’ll say this works much better than the B&W version I see you posted separately.

Beautifully seen and captured. No nits or suggestions.

Lon

@Jim_Zablotny, @John_Williams , @Ed_McGuirk , @Lon_Overacker Thank you all for your feedback, always appreciated. John, in the world of trees, Black Spruce are pretty much small fries. 15 to 20 feet is average and, in the areas I paddle, typical. These three are probably around 40 feet, so pretty big by comparison although Black Spruce have been known to reach 90 feet although not around where my wife and I paddle. Ed, for this image I exposed to the right so in the RAW image the sky appeared to be very pale, almost white. But nothing was blown out and luminosity masks revealed that plenty of contrast was available. I just tried not to push it to the point where the sky competed visually with the trees. Lon, what I love about this sky is how it seems to mirror the wildness of the trees themselves. As to which version works best, that’s why there’s chocolate and vanilla. I don’t see much point in comparing them - they’re two very different pictures.

Hi Kerry, I really love this photo! The clouds in the blue sky give the image a sense of movement. These are beautiful trees! Great perspective!