Blue mirror

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another that might be familiar and a favorite because I’m so pleased with the balance and composition. Nothing was going on with the sky/clouds so I did a long exposure and tried not to fall off the icy rock I was on. The camera and tripod were on a different one. There were several other folks around since it was a workshop and I think we all came away with different views of this cove on Lake Superior in February.

Specific Feedback

Processing ideas welcome.

Technical Details

Tripod & ND filter and maybe a CPL, but I can’t recall.

Mostly done in Lr for contrast and maybe a little crop. Lots of masking to manage the luminosity range and textures. I think I went into Ps for some blurring where needed in the water itself. Left the colors and saturation where they were for the most part.

3 Likes

I am loving this scene Kris. It has a nice balance of warm and cool colors as well as having the elements spaced out beautifully around the image. When I opened the large version the first thing I noticed was those little icicles hanging down from the ice sheet covering that FG rock. The image was already lovely, but that elevated it another notch IMO.

It looks cold; glad you or the camera didn’t take an unexpected dip.

Wonderful!! It definitely conveys COLD! Gorgeous sky! Those icicles in the FG make the image for me, and the soft water shows them off so well. That rock could make a wonderful subject all by itself.

I remember when you posted this originally. Its a great shot overall, but the line of the ice on that front rock with the icicles is really awesome.

This is really a lovely image, and I think balance sums it up quite well. Balance between warm and cool, the compositional balance of the foreground rock and the background island, and even the textural balance of the smooth water and the sharp icicles. Very nicely done.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe, @Diane_Miller, @Cameron_Wilcox & @WillR - and sorry for the late reply. Family back in NH having a bit of a crisis and I’m distracted. Glad you guys like this one as much as I do! And yeah…those little icicles are the best.

1 Like

Sending very best thoughts for everyone!

Sorry to hear that Kristen. Take care.

Thanks guys. Things are better today (brother hospitalized until yesterday afternoon) and looking up. Was on the phone with my SIL last night and there is a plan and celebration catch up.