Bonsai

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Would this have caught your eye? A cold, windy rainy day in early May. Could changing anything during capture or post processing create a more esthetically-pleasing image?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

A lone Shore Pine (Pinus contorta) grows directly from a rocky outcrop along the shore of Chenga Bay, Kodiak Island.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II, EF 70-200mm @ 108mm, f4 @ 1/200 sec, ISO 100; converted in ACR and processed inPhotoshop CS6

1 Like

Well it this didn’t caught my eye I wish it did.
I really like the simplicity of the tones and the contrast with the dark rocks.
The subject itself is a very gorgeous tree.
If I would chang anything would be to dodge the tree branches a bit more to gain more information there, and crop that bottom left corner a bit, that bright grass is a bit distracting.

Thank you for sharing such a good image.
Cheers

Yes, if walking by with a camera looking for a scene to shoot, a lone tree on a rocky out crop overlooking the ocean would have caught me eye. If I lived close by I’d go by many times watching and looking for interesting light. My first impression is the lack of light and grayness the splotches of color on the rocks seems to detract.

[@ [João Ferrão] and [Stephen Stanton]
I made some alterations as you have suggested. My immediate impression is that the image now seems very flat.
If I lived on Kodiak Island I also would have returned under more favorable conditions.
I converted the image to a high-structure monochrome. I think that was what I should have done initially.