Bow Lake

A year ago this week I was on a trip to Banff NP in Canada and took this shot on a foggy morning at Bow Lake along the Icefields Parkway. It’s amazing how much the world has changed in a year, living in the United States it would now be impossible/illegal for me to visit Banff. I hope to be able to get back there at some point in the future, it is truly an amazing place.

I loved how the early morning fog rising off the lake drifted in a low lying layer that exposed the shoreline, which allowed me to show some of of the turquoise water in the lake.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome

Original post :

Rework with more water added at bottom

Ed,

I appreciate your use of the flat light, layers and understated colors in this one. Initially I was wishing for more of that beautiful water, but I think you got the layers just right. This is nice change from the brilliant light and saturated fall colors that are so prevelent in images taken this time of year.
I can only imagine this was a beautiful morning to be on Bow Lake. It is nice to harken back to the days of carefree travel…hopefully they will return soon.

Ed - I love the very different layers in this image, but I would like to see it with about 50% more water. The other layers are much wider so that the image almost seems top heavy. Do you have more water that we could see?

Beautiful shot, Ed. Really liking the layers and subdued colors in this. My original thought was to either have more water or none. I cropped the water off but to my eye now it looks like the trees are cut off even though they aren’t so I guess leave the water in. :thinking:

@Michael_Lowe @Alan_Kreyger @Carol_Nichols thanks to you all for your comments , I appreciate the input. Carol and Mike, you have put your fingers on the most subjective part of this image, the amount of turquoise water to show at the bottom. The light was kind of flat on this morning after a non-sunrise. The turquoise glacial water is usually the star of the show in the lakes of the Canadian Rockies, but there was some wind and the water was just not that appealing to me on this morning. I elected instead to emphasize the band of fog against the mountainside.

Mike, I think cropping away the water doesn’t really work for me. Carol, I do not have another bracket where I have more of the water, dues to the wind the water was not all that attractive. But instead I have done a rework where I added canvas and via Content Aware Fill in Photoshop I added some more water. I have posted this back up top to compare to the original.

Ed,
My vote is for the original. I agree the water is not as appealing as it might have been under different conditions.

Ed, thanks for posting a photo with more water added. I do believe I like your original version better as the water stands out more in that version. Perhaps if it had been a better “water” day, the second composition would have been nice.