Calanais Standing Stones, Isle of Lewis, Scotland

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve always loved being in very ancient places. These standing stones are on the Isle of Lewis, one of the Outer Hebrides Islands off the west coast of Scotland. We arrived before sunrise and were happy to see only a half dozen people there…all photographers. (It’s a chore to get to this island.) As the sun rose, I had a hard time finding a great composition…ending up with ~300 images. It was the day before the summer solstice and a few people were there with that in mind. In the very middle of the stones, you can see a sun “worshipper” (?). This place was mesmerizing for me as the sky kept changing and every few feet you’d find a new perspective and angle of view. I spent over 2 hours in this one location and would go back in a heartbeat. Definitely something otherworldly about this place…

Specific Feedback

I’m particularly interested in thoughts about my composition. I have numerous images where I’m closer to the other stones but I did like this angle with the stone in the foreground pointing the way. I don’t know if I should try to lighten the man in the middle of the stones… Suggestions about processing would also be helpful.

Technical Details

I shot this with my Olympus EM1 OMD Markiii, 12-40 lens, 1/60, f11, 14mm, ISO 200
Editing done in LR.

1 Like

Madeleine, you have chosen an interesting point of view of this remarkable icon. The foreground is sharp and the focus softens as you move toward the back. This emphasizes the size of the monument. It is hard to find an angle of view that allows each stone to be visualized. You have done well on that score. The early morning light and the clouds add to the interest of the photo. I have one observation. The clump of dead grass at the foot of the closest stone is a very strong element that holds the eye. Burning it should help tone it down. A gentle vignette will will also help minimize the distraction. I try to elimiate people in my pictures. This site makes that goal a challenge.

Barbara, thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, I agree with the burning of the foreground grass. I’ll do that and try your vignette suggestion. Most of my images of this place were without people but I was thinking this gentleman in the center actually helped to tell the story a bit. Maybe not as he’s so small? Thanks again!

1 Like

You are welcome.

Barbara, is this better?

What do you think? My eye is now drawn to the first stone and to the rest of the picture. The grass is an exciting addition of color but not demanding attention. I like it. A thought about the figure. He is so small and insignificant. Humans are born, grow up and then die. These stones remain. That is the message I get. Thank you for this great picture. @MadeleineGallagher

Thank you, Barbara. I’m new to NPN and now I know why people like this platform so much! Thanks again. I really appreciate your comments and insights.

1 Like

I am very new as well. I have made multiple mistakes in my lack of posting skills. This is a very tolerant and instructive group.

Madeleine, I like how you emphasized the first stone and then create a good angled, leading line into the distant grouping. The clouds in the sky are an added plus. The human is somewhat challenging to spot as he adds size context. When you add another version, you can make comparing the two (or more…) easy by editing your original post, add something like repost to the title and hit the upload button again putting in the new version. This lets a viewer use arrow keys in the large view to quickly flip between versions, which makes seeing even subtle changes much easier.

Thank you, a bit late, for your response and suggestions. I’ll see if I can figure this out!

No suggestions on the processing of this intriguing image. The scene reminds me of the TV series Outlander where the stones play a key roll in the series.