Cape Wild Dog

The Cape Wild Dog, sometimes called Painted Dog, blends into the dry savannah and shrubs of her habitat. This is an alpha female – the leader of the pack and the only one allowed to breed.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

An excellent example of camouflage, Pieter. I can see how it would just disappear in the brush. Very good image quality and it sure looks like she has pups to feed.

She does blend in well, Pieter. I like her alert pose. The large version seems just a bit soft, without any shooting parameters, I can only guess as to why.

1 Like

Shot on Kodak Ektachrome 200 pushed to 400.

Shrug. With wildlife, you just had to make do.

Pushed Ektachrome and then scanned, explains everything. I went through 3 different scanners trying to get “good” scans from my slide files and while with enough work I could get reasonable colors, the resolution from anything less than a drum scan doesn’t hold up to today’s digital files.

1 Like