Castle Valley Lemonade

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A couple weeks ago the sunset looked promising so I drove out to Castle Valley intent on photographing Castleton Tower from a new location I’d recently discovered. As is common with my luck, sunset was a dud. Heavy clouds to the west blocked any and all sunset light, leaving the grand landscape rather…bland. On the walk back to my truck, head hanging low, I came across this scene. The yellow grasses zig zagging through red hills, with blu-ish bushes popping up here and there, grabbed my attention. The soft light that sucked for the grand landscape worked quite well for this intimate scene, so I went to work. I made several compositions and this was my favorite.

Technical Details

Sony A7IV
Sony 24-105mm lens at 72mm
ISO 100
1/10s @ f/16
No filters
Processed in Lightroom and finished in Nik Color Efex Pro

4 Likes

I’d take this scene over a sunset any day. I love the textures and the mix of colors. The yellow zig-zag flow of the grass is like a stream of gold and really pulls me into the image.

Well done to work with the conditions as they were. The colors are wonderfully vibrant and contrasting.

Bret, Terrific image with nice color, and texture. I don’t see it as an abstract, more as an intimate landscape. This likely does not matter as it’s the image that counts. I haven’t tried it, but it might make a nice B&W as well.

@Larry_Greenbaum Thank you. I too consider this an intimate landscape, which is something I enjoy creating perhaps more than grand scenics.

@Chris_Baird I had the same reaction when I saw the golden grasses winding through the scene. That’s what initially drew me to this.

@DeanRoyer Thanks so much, Dean!

This is the perfect consolation prize, Bret. In fact I think this is probably a little more unique image than the sunset you were trying to capture. This is a scene you need to absorb and take in all the lovely lines, details and colors. Beautifully done!

Thank you, Ed. Agreed, it’s the type of image that begs for some time to study it. I’d love to see it printed large some time.

Brent, the zig-zag of both the hillsides and the yellow grasses along the bottom make a great intimate scene. Besides the yellow grass the clumps of grey and green help pull my eyes through the scene. It’s nicely dynamic and very inviting.

I can see why you were drawn to this scene. The repeating and intersecting diagonals make for an excellent composition. The muted earth tones are perfect for the light conditions. Well done.

Nice! I love how that yellow line of the grass snakes its way through the image/ Of course the soft light really compliments the scene as well.

@Mark_Seaver @Michael_Lowe @Tom_Nevesely Thank you, gents. I appreciate your comments!

I am a bit late to this discussion but think this is a beautiful and quiet composition. The curves of the yellow grasses lead the eye through the composition from foreground to background. The pockets of blue/green/gray sage (?) are well distributed, balancing the entire composition. And the warm reds, golds, and yellows are pleasing. Nicely done!

Thanks so much, Robert!