Charred Ponderosa

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I go hiking in a lot of places that have been affected by wildfire, and I really enjoy photographing the different patterns and textures that are left behind on burned trees. This one is in a place I go to a lot, and, although it’s hard to know just by looking at it, I’m pretty sure it’s a ponderosa based on the location and the other trees growing nearby. The flaky layers in the image also look to me like the layered bark that develops on ponderosas. I shot this on an overcast day last February. There was a lot of snow on the ground, which I think helped add some reflected light.

Specific Feedback

I took this as a horizontal image and cropped this section out of the center of the frame. I converted to black and white in Lightroom and have played around with a lot of lighting adjustments. Any and all feedback or suggestions would be appreciated!

Technical Details

47 mm, ISO 250, f/5.6, 1/80

3 Likes

This has a nice range of tones and I am enjoying the lines and textures of the scorched bark in the larger version. Beautifully done John!

Thank you, @Ed_Lowe. I appreciate the feedback!

Wonderful shot John. It has such weight, it almost feels like the side of a skyscraper or a rock cliff. Makes for a great photo.

Thank you, @Cameron_Wilcox. I appreciate the feedback. I like your comparison to a skyscraper. The way that burned wood reflects light is very interesting. To me, it often takes on a very metallic look.

1 Like