Clawing for survival

Welcome back to NPN. Nice to see another Wisconsin shooter. Is this Lake Michigan by any chance? A terrific location for sure, but yeah…it’s a little problematic. To me this suffers from HDR-itis, but all may not be lost.

You could have benefitted from a couple of things - using a graduated ND filter in the field or taking multiple shots and blending them. The sky and the foreground need different exposures to get them right. To my eye they are both too bright as you say.

You also might benefit from starting over with a Linear Profile that can help preserve highlights and shadows and makes for a more neutral starting point for processing.

Since all I had was your jpeg, I did what I could to make a more natural appearing image, but I don’t think it’s still as good as it could be. I brought it into Camera Raw and lowered the overall exposure and applied a couple of gradient filters to manage the tonal ranges in both the foreground and sky. I left the water alone except for some brush work to deepen the shadowed sections. I did the same with a couple of brushes on the rocks. I also moved the white balance a little warmer and reduced the magenta cast.

I hope you don’t mind since this is such a terrific scene with good potential. I really like the shutter speed (maybe stopping down v. bumping ISO would have produced the same results) and the roots tell the story of survival on these rough shores.