Conkel's Hollow #1

Nestled within Greater Hocking Hills is Conkel’s Hollow. This is at the dead end part of the hollow, looking down stream. A small waterfall is behind me.

I took this photo because I like how the light plays with the green foliage and fractures in the rocks.

This is a three shot HDR blend, one stop increments. 1/6; 1/13; 1/25

Specific Feedback Requested

I would like you thoughts on this photo as a subject and the lighting. Do you find the subject interesting? What are your thoughts on the shadows?

All of your comments are welcomed.

Technical Details

Canon 5DSR | EF17-40 @ 40mm | f11 | 1/6; 1/13; 1/25 | ISO 100
Processed using ACR and Photoshop

I used Dodge and Burn. Dodged the shadow areas and burned the bright rocks and foliage at the top.

What a beautiful setting you wandered in to. Your composition is good. For me this would be a very difficult image to process do to the extreme dynamic range of the image. To my eye the rock in the front left is a little too bright and the shadows are still a little to dark. I think if you can lighten up the shadows just a little it would preserve the feeling of being deep in the forest while also providing you with a little more detail of what lies within. When I look at these type of images I like to imagine myself walking through the image. In this case I come to the end of the stream and am stopped by the impenetrable forest. I think it might be interesting to try a little very light dodging in the forest just above the creek maybe going around the rock wall to create a visual path for the viewer.

David

This canyon looks interesting with various textures from the trees and rocks. The greens look alive and vibrant. I do like the light filtering through the trees. Again…one of those scenes, where I can feel the light. I like that! The shadows look good…dark with detail. The issue I have with the scene is the downed trees, particularly the one in the middle of the frame and towards the background. Looks a little messy in relation to the other nice elements and light within the scene. You could do some clean up and that may help with the overall feel and flow.

DT

Thank you David. I will work on cleaning up the areas you mentioned.