Crepe Myrtle Glow

Dan, It’s a great subject and absolutely worthwhile to figure out the technique to achieve your vision.

My first question is did you try higher ISOs? I think we photographers want to use the very lowest ISO we can and for good reason, but we also let that get in the way of us getting the shot we want because we are afraid higher ISOs lead to grainier or otherwise poor quality images - you even described yourself above as afraid of high ISO!

I’ve shot many of my portfolio images at ISOs of 3200 to 6400 because they enable me to fulfill my vision and I have absolutely no issue with the quality. I’ve printed this image, Reflection of Light, which I shot at ISO 4000 and the print looks fantastic. My processing technique includes bumping up the noise reduction a little. And you know what? I’m fine with a little grain anyway.

With images strong in texture like the one posted here, a high ISO should work just fine. It will gain you massive shutter speed and/or aperture advantages.

My overarching advice about high ISOs to my fellow photographers is to experiment. Images are free to take and you’ll learn tons, plus you may get the image you want and you’ll push yourself into new territory creatively.

If you happen to have captured this image with a higher ISO, post it too.