Filtered Glow

A third, and final, image from the Columbia River Gorge last May; this one was taken just a little earlier than the prior two.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’ve had some spanking good arguments with myself about whether that lone foreground tree adds or detracts from the image; I’d love your thoughts.

I’ve noticed over the years I’ve been playing with landscape photography that some of us go through a phase (I know I did) where we’ll post a number of nearly identical images and ask what everyone’s favorite is. It seems like most move past that phase to a point where they either pick the best image themselves prior to posting, or realize there really isn’t a significant difference and take fewer images to begin with. At the risk of backing up on the learning curve, I truly am curious now that all three are posted if you have a favorite (and why), or if they are all about the same for you.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S
1/20 sec. at f/6.3 and ISO 125
1/500 sec. at f/6.3 and ISO 800

Truth in Blending Statement: Five images blended for depth of field with Helicon Focus 7, and one image for dynamic range to recover blown highlights.

2 Likes

Dripping with mood John. I love that soft, Orton like effect you have with all of these images but particularly this one. The angle of the light spreading out across the scene from corner to corner is my favorite. I actually really like the foreground tree because of its coloration and texture and also because of the lean to it. The foreground would be too empty if the tree was not there. I believe this is my favorite of the three mostly because of the flow of light and the uniformity of the foreground flowers but that tree you question yourself about adds to the image. Also, you have less sky than in the first I believe it was where there were some spots that should have been warm but were not and in this image all of the sky that might be peaking through is warm and looks right. If I were to do anything to this image I might crop up from the bottom to remove that little bit of emptiness in the LLC and also crop from the right side to remove the taller foreground brush that blocks the path of the the light walling the scene in rather than letting the light take you through and out the LRC into more forest.

1 Like

John, this is beautiful light and such a wonderful and inviting feel this image has. Excellent work! I love scenes like this and especially when done this well.

1 Like

Really nice, John. The tree works for me, as it nicely frames the tunnel to the light. I like @David_Haynes 's crop suggestion too. Good stuff.

1 Like

Hi John, I like this a lot. I like all of them really…I think I like the first one best…maybe it’s that triangle of light. But all three are keepers and wall-hangers. Really excellent work.

1 Like

Another stunner! The tree adds context - with it it’s a photo of a forest with flowers, without it it’s a photo of flowers with trees in the background. So I vote for keeping it because it tells me the story of the place - a forest with lush wildflowers. That said, I’d try darkening the tree just a bit. If I was standing there, I think it would appear more shaded because of the strong sunlight behind. You could try some luminosity masking on the tree to make sure only the darker areas got darker and that would improve the contrast. I also wonder if the colors are a little hot. Contrasting extremes like purple and green are hard on the eyes anyway so maybe reducing their saturation and/or vibrance in combination with their luminosity would make them less jarring. Given the softness of the light and the scene in general, I think this would strengthen those qualities. Don’t ask me to pick a favorite though. :grin:

1 Like

The vertical #2 is your best due to it’s superior composition. In it you had a solid background through which the light passed. And the flowers were displayed in the best way. #1 was a close second. I liked how the trees and light came from a central point. Flowers were not as good as in #2. #3 was the weakest. The front tree does make a difference. I just liked the way the light was conveyed in the other images rather than the strong yellow.

BTW I would provide at least links to the images you want to compare.

1 Like

I’ve been too rushed to pay enough attention here lately, and missed the first two. I’m not good at analysis so just want to say that I really love all three! You have captured lovely scenes and given very special treatment to the light! Don’t make me choose favorites!

2 Likes

This is superb, John. I like the tree being there and its placement in the composition. You handled the light very nicely where the sun comes thru; bright but not blown out. All in all, this is very eye-catching and very pleasing. The only suggestion I have would be to consider dodging the dark area in the URC. That area appears a little dark to my eye, but certainly not outrageously dark.

Original

Revision

1 Like

Lovely image as is. Some minor subjective suggestions to play with: decrease the brightness in the upper left corner and try a square crop getting rid of the right side.

1 Like

This is a beautiful image and my favorite of the three. I think the tree is a nice addition that adds some depth. I am curious what sort of post processing you did to capture the sunlight coming through the tress. Anything special to avoid blowing out the sun in the upper left? You nailed it.

1 Like

Thank you all for the feedback and comments!

@David_Haynes and @Bill_Chambers , thanks for taking the time to post edits. I’ll play with the suggestions!

@Benj_Wadsworth I’m finding with the z7ii I don’t have to worry so much about shadow noise and can reduce my exposure more than with my prior cameras to try to catch those highlights. With that said, the contrast here was pretty extreme and I blended in a bracketed image to fix the blown highlights in those brightest areas.

1 Like