Golden Glow

My brother and I had two short, but wonderful days of shooting some autumn color this past October in WV. The yellows were flat out gorgeous and seemed to have this wonderful glow radiating about them. This particular day while we were at Pembelton Point we had some nice atmospherics with a light mist swirling about the canyon walls along the Blackwater River.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f16 @ 1/250 sec, ISO 200, CPL, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Just beautiful, Ed. And indeed a bit the same environment as in the image from Ed MCGuirk. My comment could be that I myself should give the image a bit more contrast between the light and darker colors. But as we say here in Holland “wie ben ik”, or" who am I"to give a comment on such a stunning forest portrait.

Now this is my kind of shot Ed :grin: It doesn’t get much more peak color than this, the image has a lot of pop.

The mix of spruce and hardwoods creates a nice pattern of color. I also like how that lone spruce tree is isolated against the fog in the URC, it creates an anchor point for my eye. I agree with @Ben_van_der_Sande, I think some of the yellows here would benefit from slightly more luminosity, especially in the LLC. But overall, this is very nicely done, good work Ed.

These image that look like a blend of an abstract and a grand landscape are attractive! And, I agree you caught some beautiful yellows. My only thought would be to let them pop even more. It’s a personal preference thing, and I realize you may have been faithful to the mood of being there that day, but here’s an example for food for thought. (I’ve tried to protect the saturation and clouds, both at risk from increasing contrast.)

I love the great collection of color, both in the original and John’ repost. Both work equally well for me. I will be the outlier though, as the center cloud is not really working for me. I find it too concentrated and more of a distraction to me than an addition. Otherwise, I really like the whole thing.

John’s rework made the foliage more luminous while keeping the mist the same. What if you did the opposite and made the mist brighter? I tried doing it in PS and failed to make it look realistic.

It’s a very fine image. I grew to appreciate it as I worked on it.

See, you didn’t listen to me. :grin: :grin: about the levels adj. Other than that love it. My kind of image.

My only suggestion is to burn two bright tree trunks near the top center of the image. Otherwise, this is a great image, Ed, with lots of mood and atmosphere. I am a little bit like Harley as far as the center mist is concerned but I still think it’s a keeper.

Many thanks @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Ed_McGuirk, @John_Williams, @Harley_Goldman, @Igor_Doncov, @Michael_Lowe and @Adhika_Lie for taking the time to leave your C&C; always appreciated. Here is a repost with your suggestions; particularly the LLC.
@John_Williams: Thanks for taking the time to do a rework; looks good.
@Michael_Lowe: I did heed your advice; I just did not go far enough.

1 Like

Oops, I posted the wrong rework. Here is the one I meant to post.

1 Like

The rework looks great Ed, it has a lighter feeling and it’s a nice improvement.

1 Like