It Is All About The Light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My brother and I always stop at this overlook during a rain event when we visit Blackwater Falls SP in WV and the last visit was no exception. We were rewarded with some nice mist and clouds looking down toward Blackwater Canyon. While we were shooting the sun momentarily broke through the clouds and bathed the BG canyon walls in this soft beautiful light. It didn’t last long, but I did capture a couple of images and this one is my favorite. For the sake of honesty there was a dark evergreen partially intruding along the bottom edge which I cloned out.

Specific Feedback

Overall I am fairly pleased with the image , but I am on the fence about cropping a little more from the right side. If you think of anything else please let me know. As always, all your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 89mm, f 11 @ 1/80sec, ISO 800, Kase Magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod

2 Likes

This image reeks with emotion. It has the classic Romantic look many landscape photographers try to achieve. The look that say there’s more to the world than the reality we see. That dreamy look. I would consider a small crop off the bottom so that only the dark trees on the left appear in front of the mist. The darkness of the bottom may be a bit too dominant. Maybe I’m wrong. Just an idea. The contrast of dark on mist is good but the part where the mist gets gradually darker and darker needs something. Nope. I’m wrong. I opened the large version and everything looked just right. Great image.

1 Like

Like this a lot Ed love the misty recession and the myriad shades of green fading into the distance.

1 Like

This is drop-dead gorgeous!! My only itty-bitty idea is to crop or clone the itty-bitty light tree poking in from the right edge. And then, I held up my hand to block the lower portion, per @Igor_Doncov and liked it for the left half, but not for the right half. Maybe just darken those two brighter trees in the left FG?

1 Like

Beautiful shot, Ed. Looks like a place I could just sit and enjoy nature.

1 Like

This needs to be viewed large, so a person can immerse themself in the image and rake in all that mood and atmosphere. Really beautiful, Ed. Regarding a crop, it works but I feel not necessary. The only thing I might do is dodge in the dark FG trees a tad. Stunning image.

1 Like

Man Ed, this is soooo good. I would love to stand before this as a large print - maybe on metal - and just study all the little details and amazing textures. Absolutely breathtaking!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions everyone @Igor_Doncov, @Ian_Cameron, @Diane_Miller, @Shirley_Freeman, @Michael_Lowe and @Bret_Edge. It was a brief magical moment with the light and it faded just as quickly as it appeared. I am happy that I was able to capture it with this image.

@Diane_Miller: I somehow missed that tree on the right and will take care of that. I will play around with darkening those couple of trees in the LLC and see what I come up with.

1 Like