The One

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was captured a couple of weeks ago during a rain event on a day trip to Blackwater Falls SP, WV. The drive is only four hours so we can time it when rain is forecast. Mike and I always stop at this overlook; as most times there is usually some fog/ clouds hanging around the slopes of Blackwater Canyon.

I was particularly attracted to character of this one cloud as it glided through the canyon walls. It was pretty overcast and lightly raining when this ever so subtle bit of light illuminated the cloud along with the BG slope. I was only able to capture a couple of frames and the light was gone as quickly as it appeared.

Specific Feedback

I am fairly pleased with the image. I am sitting on the fence about cropping a little more sky off, but don’t want to encroach on that beautiful cloud. What do you think? All C&C is welcome and always appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon Z&, Nikon Z 24-200 mm lens, f 11 @ 1/200 sec, ISO 400, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

I like the way that the smaller clouds (cloudlets?) echo the shape of the larger one. The sky itself doesn’t add much to the image, but I don’t see how you could crop it without crowding the main cloud. I wonder if darkening the slopes in the foreground a little might serve to frame the subject more?

Ed, you know I like this shot, cause I took one just like it. :rofl: Perfect framing of the cloud in the v shaped valley. The greens are nice and lush. The only thing I might do is go for a wider aspect ratio.

I agree with Michael about the framing and timing was perfect and I like both the position and the look of the cloud in the center. The overlapping triangles of the forest that get lighter and lighter as one looks farther and farther into the scene are also really nice.

The v-shape sets up the cloud nicely. I think the crop is fine, although if you played with dropping the luminosity of that top edge slightly it might help accentuate the cloud a tad more?

The framing is great here, Ed. As Tom points out the distance effect adds well. My other thought is that, like John suggests, some mid-tone burning of the sky and the far forest would let the valley clouds stand out a bit more.