Witness

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is one of my favorite locations to shoot in Utah. There were late afternoon thundershowers approaching with fairly dramatic cloud formations so I thought I would head out to the canyon. I found an interesting foreground formation which I used to frame up the canyon and the distant clouds. There were splashed of light hitting the far buttes while streaks of rain danced beneath the clouds giving the parched landscape some much needed moisture. I particularly like the upper right portion of the clouds where the clouds appear to be balls. Please let me know your thoughts on this image and if there are any obvious improvements to be made. Thanks for taking the time for a quick look.

Specific Feedback

I’m interested to hear your thoughts on the processing of this image. I generally don’t add a lot of saturation to my images and this is no exception however, I did push this past a point that I normally don’t go. This is a stack of 5 images to try and get everything sharp.

Technical Details

Z7ii, 24-70mmlens @ 36mm, ISO 80, f/16 (5 image focus stack), 1/40, tripod, manual exposure.

1 Like

I love the ominous sky David! Excellent composition that leads the viewer right to the stormy sky and light on the horizon. The rock form in the foreground adds another element of interest.

1 Like

Excellent photo. Your foreground object is very interesting on its own.

1 Like

I really like this image. The contrast between the warm tones in the rocks and the cool tones in the storm works well. Also, the layering in the foreground rock and also in the clouds sort of echo each other. I don’t think the saturation is too high.

1 Like

David, Superb image – I like it as it is. The saturation looks fine, and you certainly achieved sharpness from foreground to background . The texture is terrific, especially with the most interesting foreground rock. The couple of desert plants add a nice touch of life in an otherwise dry scape. The sky and foreground bring the image together well. Why did you feel the image needed five focus stack areas?

1 Like

Very nice! The saturation looks fine - I wouldn’t have thought twice about it had you not mentioned it. Very cool sky.

1 Like

Lucky you. You had some excellent light conditions. I particularly the sharp detail and definition in that ledge and the rocks below it. This is a great near to far image but I think the rocky area could have made a great image on its own. Great image. The colors seem right to me.

1 Like

This so captures the feel of of the desert southwest David. The impression of forever views to the horizon with deep earth scars and a stormy sky are all present. I like how the broken landscape in the distance is mimicked in the foreground; erosion both small and large. The cloud drama is a great addition; I can hear the thunder.

The foreground is tight on the left and right, but I think it is fine; just enough to not snag the eye.

1 Like

David: An arresting scene and conditions combined to make a truly marvelous final result. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Larry, I certainly could have gotten away with just 2 or 3 images but nothing was moving in the scene and I was very close to the foreground elements and so I fired off 5 images. Likely overkill. I’m glad you like the image. Thanks for your thoughts.

@Eva_McDermott, @Ronald_Murphy, @WillR, @Larry_Greenbaum, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Igor_Doncov, @John_Williams, @Bill_Fach…Thanks for you input and observations on this image. It seems my concerns about the saturation have been put to rest. Most of you liked that foreground rock formation and I initially set up to shoot just that formation but the angles were all wrong so I included the valley for the background. Plus, I wanted to get those clouds in the scene. Thanks again for taking the time to visit with this shot.

1 Like

David,

Late to the party, but had to chime in! This is an outstanding grand landscape! You have it all here, from the excellent near-far composition creating great depth, to the dramatic sky and stormy conditions over the canyon and buttes.

Looks to me like the processing, including colors and sat, are spot on. I actually don’t have any suggestions, nor do I have any nitpicks! (darn!) :slight_smile:

I did download to consider what b&w might do, but concluded it did NOT make this capture and image any better. Kudos!

Lon

1 Like

A killer shot David; I like this very much. I think your processing (and composition) is spot on an I wouldn’t change a thing. Nice work!

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker, @Tom_Nevesely, thanks so much for your input and thoughts on this one. I feel very fortunate that you didn’t have any nitpicks, Lon. :slight_smile:
I never even thought about a black and white. Probably not enough tonal separation. Is that what you found out?

Thanks very much. Tom. I’m glad you like it.

@David_Haynes — I’m super late to the party. This is a wonderful image! I love traveling through it, taking in the details from the foreground’s stones to the dramatic clouds in the background. I agree with the previous comments. I do have one thought and that is to add just a touch of contrast to the foreground and valley areas to bring them up a bit to meet the dramatic sky. In all, this inspires me to get out west again!

1 Like