A Location You Know (+Edit)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was made just as the sun was coming up over the horizon to east and lit up the mountains in the background. We didn’t have epic light but it doesn’t really bother me. I kind of like the light, airy, wispy clouds in the sky catching just a little bit of light. There were a lot of people here photographing this scene (obviously). I’m happy I made the image, but also happy I came away with more than just the iconic images.

Specific Feedback

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the processing. Specifically the colors, tones, and contrast.

Technical Details

17mm, ISO 100, f/16, 1/4 sec.

I used two files, one slightly darker for the sky and mountains in the background. I could have achieved the same effect with one file but it probably would have taken me a bit more work to do…I had the files so I figured why not! Most of the processing was done with a mask covering the sky as I wanted to bring out the contrast in the foreground.

2 Likes

David, this is a beautiful image. I think the color contrast of the earth tones in the FG and the magenta mountains, lit by the sun, in the background really works. I also like the line of black rocks leading the eye from the foreground to the background.

The processing and control of tones is spot on. I wouldn’t change them. Perhaps some a vignette in the corners would work, but I’m not really sure of that.

You know iconic locations are iconic for a reason. I sometimes think that as we get deeper into photography, we are embarrassed to show photos from iconic locations. But in reality, weather, lighting , and composition make our own photos unique.

-Will

I think you got a very natural-looking balance of the shaded FG and lighted BG, with nice detail in the mountains. Nice composition leading the eye out to the distance. The sky is lovely and also looks very natural. No suggestions except let us enjoy more from the trip!

David, what a beautiful image you saw and captured. The color contrast, textures, and composition are very strong. The dark leading line taking us to the glowing mountains in the background is superb.

I may be the only person who has not been to that location. So, I’m not familiar with the sunlight direction (other than the shadows showing here, obviously) and other surrounding areas. I noticed the FG is darker on the bottom left side of the image with more light shining on the right side of the photo. It is almost tempting to lower the highlights on the right just to keep the eyes centered in the middle ground and background.

I guess because I know it it is the clouds that I find most interesting. The rest is familiar. I think you could make all of Zabriskie a bit lighter and still convey the sense of dusk. Otherwise, the sky is stealing the show.

1 Like

Hi David,
wow, that is a really beautiful scene. I love the composition with the dark path bending into the distance. There are so many patterns and textures to explore. And then, of course, there is the wonderful alpenglow on the mountains in the distance.

I really like your processing with the open shadows and the subtle contrast.
There’s just one thing that distracts my eye a bit. In my opinion, the blues in the background mountains are quite saturated. If I had to change anything in the image, I would desaturate the blues there.

Here is your original file, so that you can switch back and forth:

Hi David,

“A Location You Know”
I wasn’t sure where this was until I researched a few guesses. I found some online images that suggest that this is Zabriskie Point at Death Valley, so, now I know this location (sort of).
I’ve seen many images of Death Valley but this is actually the first image I’ve seen of Zabriskie Point, maybe I’m just behind the times and considered an outsider because I haven’t ever been to the famous Death Valley.
Am I the only one that’s never been? Maybe someday I can join the ranks.
I used to travel out west some 40+ years ago when all I had was an occasional disposable film camera like this: Link>>>Kodak 35mm Disposable Camera
That was before I bought my one and only manual film camera (Pentax K-1000), I used that camera for nearly 20 years. I have plenty of images of the gorgeous Rockies and the parts of the Sierra Mountains but I never got the chance to visit Death Valley.

Anyway, as for the image, I like the time of day resulting in the shaded peaks and valleys, the very soft shadows in the valleys are especially nice and the colors are very inviting for me.
The black line of sand? is a great lead-in line that carries my attention through the scene to the distant mountains and finally, the sky.
The amount of sky is something that I would in many cases say that it’s a bit much but in this case it feels right and I think the reason for that is the time of day and the subtle light on the landscape.
After all, that is BIG SKY country.
I like Jens’ edit where the distant mountains are a tad more subtle in color and just because it’s less of an attention grabber, from my limited experience, that color is real but it’s also an attention grabber for me.

It’s a gorgeous scene and although it’s iconic for most, it’s not for me so I appreciate it for what it is which is unique IMHO, there are few images with this exact color, luminance, sky detail and feel.

I hope to make it back to the Grand Canyon so hopefully Death Valley can be included in that trip.

Thanks for sharing!

This really hit home for me Will and caused me to reflect a bit. I enjoyed the process of making all the images on this trip / from this location. I don’t think I could separate out and say one image was more enjoyable than another. I know some are more personal than others, but the experience of photographing in Death Valley wasn’t diminished because I made some iconic images. I enjoyed it all, small scenes to grand vistas. I don’t think we should be the slightest bit embarrassed because we make images in iconic locations, in fact as we can see with some of the other comments, a number of people had no clue where this is from! Just because it is iconic doesn’t mean everyone has seen it before. They can also help “establish” the scene a bit and provide some context for other images if you’re going to display them together. I’m cool with iconic image making as long as that isn’t where I stop!

@Diane_Miller Thank you, more to come!

@Egídio Thank you for the comments. Technically, the left side should be a bit darker than the right, but I did do some darkening on that side to try to balance it a bit.

@Igor_Doncov I did bring up the luminosity a bit in the updated version, interested in your thoughts.

@Jens_Ober I had already knocked those back quite a bit, the contrast was really bringing out both the blue and magenta back there. I reduced it a bit more in the updated version.

@Merv Happy to have introduced you! It is a stunning landscape and well worth the trip. Other than Iceland, it is the most “extreme” place I’ve been and we had a blast exploring some well known and some off the path locations. Thank you for checking it out!

2 Likes

I think that small difference is significant.

Hi David, wow that’s a stunning landscape! The strong leading line of black sand allows the eye to slowly wander through the gorgeous ochre-coloured folds then further over to the dark brown ridge and then into the far distance where the distant mountains are catching the warm light of the rising sun. There’s great depth in the image right up into the sky where the wispy pink clouds make fora very pleasing conclusion to the eye’s meandering.

The over-saturation of the blues in the distant mountains caught my eye, too. In fact, there’s a bit of a blue cast in the black sand and the dunes as well. I really like @Jens_Ober’s removal of the blues in the distant mountains to the right. This adjustment also results in reducing the saturation of the magentas in the distant summits whilst making them a little more orangey. I think this looks a lot more natural.

@Jens_Ober I have tried reducing the blue sat in the background mountains targeting the blues with a hue/sat adjustment layer, but doing so increases the luminosity and the magentas don’t budge. Do you remember what you did there? Did you use a lum mask or a quick selection of the area?

@David_Wallace *** after your repost, the addition of light in the FG scene makes them pop out nicely and is more in keeping with the more luminous and saturated distant mountains and sky. Looks great!

Hi Laura,
I don’t remember exactly what I did, the file was already deleted. I’m sure that I tried different things, Targeted Adjustment Tool in ACR, Hue/Saturation Layer in PS, and Selective Color Layer in PS.
I often end up with the last mentioned.

I tried to recreate the adjustments and got a similar result with the following two adjustment layers:

1. Hue/Saturation:
  2. Selective Color:

On both layers, I created a black mask and roughly made the effect visible with a white brush.

Selective Color is a powerful tool for making subtle color adjustments.

1 Like

@Jens_Ober Hi Jens,

Thank you so much for this. I did spend some time last night tweaking this area, but could not manage the loss of contrast. I played with lum masks (TK8) more than anything else. Then tried some curves. Then thought I’d stop before going into insane complications! (I try to stop before getting hopelessly bogged down these days…) I haven’t used Selective Color in some time, so it’s great seeing a demonstration of what control you can have with this adjustment. I think you got great results there :+1: It’s really nice of you to share. Much appreciated!

You are welcome. That’s why we are here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

David, the rework looks much better (in my personal view), however, I retract my earlier comment about the saturation and luminance of the distant mountain range, now that area seems to work well, maybe it’s the brighter FG area that made the difference for me?

I’ve been to Iceland as well but I didn’t get to spend much time there. Iceland is almost like visiting an alien planet in many ways.

Nice work! :slight_smile: