Desert Storm

In 2017 I did a 10 day trip through Utah and parts of Arizona. This image was from that trip. Many of the images from that trip involve shots shots with a lot of very warm tones. I used a variety of luminosity masks to try and highlight different sections of the rock but I go back and forth on the right color balance for these shots.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 5DM4. One image. ISO 100. 16mm F/22 1/6 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

John, this is a killer composition, and those clouds are awesome. X marks the spot indeed !!!

I think your processing of the ā€œlight sculptingā€ on the landscape looks very good. My only suggestion in that regard might be to burn down the sandstone wedge in the center bottom of the image, I think it will help pull the eye more to the center.

Color and White balance are very subjective, but I think they are effectively and tastefully handled here. You kept the clouds cooler for contrast, and that works well. This is a great image !!!

1 Like

Lots to take in here; all interesting. Some neat sculpting of the rocks by mother nature. Good use of leading lines to the storm and the juxtaposition of the dark and light clouds is interesting.

1 Like

John,

What a fabulous image youā€™ve captured - and processed. The light on the sandstone tracks beautifully with the light and contrasts in the stormy cloud cover. Excellent work. Colors look Great to me too!

No nits or suggestions. Just hope and advice that you didnā€™t wonder down in the slot area during thunder stormsā€¦ :roll_eyes:

Lon

1 Like

Thatā€™s one dramatic sky, John. I love how it is echoed on the ground, too: both in shape and texture. The leading line is effective, too. At first, I was thinking about a slight vignette at the bottom but I think @Ed_McGuirkā€™s suggestion to burn that triangle wedge in the center foreground is more effective.

1 Like

John,

Sounds like an awesome trip! I really like the drama and color contrast between the cool and warm tones. I agree with @Ed_McGuirk and @Adhika_Lie in that the bottom center could be darkened a bit. Also it might just be on my end but Iā€™m noticing a hint of green near the light clouds on the top right corner. I really enjoy looking at this image because it makes me feel like Iā€™m there. Cheers!

1 Like

Ed, Allen, Lon, Adhika, Sigfrido. Thanks for all of your comments. Sigfrido, welcome to NPN. Lon, yes I did stay out of the ravine and only left the high ground when I started to see lightening. I did go back and darkened the triangle of rock in the foreground and I agree that that looks better. It was a wonderful day and I came out with several images that I like.

Hi John,
This is a pretty sweet composition and I really like the interplay between all the different lines in the scene. The only thing that is bothering me a bit are the clouds in the upper right corner, they are the brightest area of the scene and my eye keep going there even though thereā€™s not much going on in that corner. Also the temperature of the highlights in that are I think are a bit too warm but thatā€™s just my preference.

1 Like