Prairie Storm

My wife and I were camping in North Dakota near the Illo National Wildlife Reserve when the promise of a great sunset over the lake presented itself. I drove to a spot on the reserve clear of any wires and this storm was developing both north and south of where I was at. The sun starting to go down and the clouds and rain were catching the warm light of the setting sun. It was one of those times when you did not know which way to turn to shoot things were changing and the sky was very dramatic all around. I will post more images of this storm because the sky was very different as it progressed.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I am open to all comments and critiques in both the technical and artistic areas.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20, 1/50 sec, f14, 10 mm, ISO 400, Hand Held

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

The colors and comp are very appealing. I like the roads but find the somewhat undefined buildings a bit distracting. They could easily be removed.

That is indeed quite an impressive storm. It must’ve been quite something to experience it. One way to increase the power of the spectacle is to widen it by cropping some off the top. Also, you could increase the contrast in the fields by raising the higher values.

Beautiful and dramatic conditions. That said, I find my attention pulled toward the fence and building. If cloning works for you, I would take them out. Great scene otherwise.

Truly spectacular! I agree with Harleys advice to clone out the fence and building.

This is quite the dramatic storm light and cloud formation Richard. Indee, this must have very impressive weather to witness in person. I like your overall composition, by having the cloud intersect with the frame edges like this it creates the impression that the cloud is even much larger and continues on outside the frame. I think if you had used a wider focal length and actually shown more of the cloud, it would have lost some of its impressiveness. your processing of the light in the clouds and sky is very well done too, i like the interplay of gold and blue.

Here’s another vote for cloning away the man-made objects. Is this a cloudscape or an agrarian landscape? For me this is all about the clouds and weather, the inclusion of building distracts from that, especially since they are small, bright and near the edge of the frame. IMO the buildings are too small add a strong agrarian feeling to the image.

I know which way I would have turned - I’d have high-tailed it for shelter. The drama of the storm you created is striking and creates a terrific image. I agree with the other comments here, and would crop the sky as @Igor_Doncov suggested.

Cool scene, portrayed technically just right.
Funny, I am not usually a buildings guy, but I like the story of Nature vs Man in this scene. Bright blue in the sky can be an eye magnet, so I Woul crop that out. Also could do without roughly half the foreground. Attached crop seems to me to bring attention to the Nature vs Man story. Red roof mirroring red clouds works for me.

1 Like

You captured a beautiful skyscape here Richard. I like the color - especially the lighting on the rain band.