Prairie Light

This was shot at Theodore Roosevelt National Park the north unit on a trip there last summer. This caught my attention for two main reasons: 1. the way the that everything  focused to a single point in the distance 2. the light that broke through the clouds from the east just briefly and lit up the image. 
I am interested in any and all feed back on the image. 
Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20, 10 mm, 1/125 sec, f16, ISO 400![IMG_5390|690x460](upload://prjp7ensFD6PIlCFE1G4spViEnj.jpeg) 

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I’ve never heard of this national park so thanks for sharing this image! I love the contrast between the colors of the sky vs the grass/shrubs. I also really enjoy the lines the clouds create about the mountains that draw my eye in. My comments are personal preference only, of course. I took a stab at some quick edits. Overall the image seems a bit too yellow for my preference so I warmed them up a bit. I also gave it a crop to take out some of the sky (still enough for drama!) and took out some land that may not be as interesting. I also darkened the sky with a little more blue and took out some “haze” to give the clouds more pop. I just wanted a little more push on the edges to bring my interest to the distant land. It’s like I’m on a journey and wondering what is in the distance. Not sure if this helps but it is interesting to hear other opinions!!

Hi Richard,

There’s a nice motif between the diagonal grass and the clouds.

It looks good as it’s but I’d be personally looking to enhance the light even more by using selective contrast

I really like that the clouds form a bit of a V, mimicking the flow of the land below.

I agree with Brie that the yellow is strong in the land portion, and played with a couple lab curves for color variation. As always, YMMV and others may prefer the straight up “golden” of the yellow in the original.

I love that National Park; while living in Minot for 5 years I spent a good bit of time exploring that part of North Dakota. I love the perspective feel from the landscape and clouds leading to a focal point on the horizon. In Lightroom I would have used the split-toning function to gain a little more pop to the image. Great shot overall!

Lovely image. I find the bush in the lower left distracting. I got rid of it using Content Aware Fill in Photoshop, and cropped some of the sky out to move the horizon line away from being exactly in the middle. Like so:

Richard, the light here is gorgeous, and those clouds are really very interesting. I think a lot of people would say grasslands would be hard to photograph. But the light and clouds were your friend, you have come away with a very compelling image. I think the rework by @Tony_Siciliano makes some subtle changes that nicely enhance the image , taking it up another notch.

When I first saw this image I thought to myself that something is awry. We have an overcast day yet the grassland glows as if it’s a bright day. I suspected that it had been processed that way to make it more appealing and in the process had started to look contrived.

Well, two days ago I shot a similar image and came out with similar results; heavy sky and bright land. The clouds didn’t extend from horizon to horizon. The sun at one end peered through the edge of the clouds to create a sunny landscape with clouds above. I suspect that is the case here. For there are clear shadows.